- Telefon: 51833574
|Avdeling/enhet||Det samfunnsvitenskapelige fakultet|
Dr Johan R. Edelheim (PhD) is a global hospitality and tourism educator and expert. He has worked since the late 80s both in the tourism industries, and in vocational and higher education related to the industries in several European, and Asian countries, as well as for a decade in Australia. Johan is curious by nature and has over the years accumulated several diplomas and degrees from hospitality, business, education, philosophy, and cultural studies.
He is a member of the following professional organisations and editorial boards:
- Member of UNWTO Board of Experts
- Executive member of Tourism Education Futures Initiative (TEFI)
- Executive member of Finnish
Tourism Research Association
- Chevalier de la Chaîne; Bailliage de Laponie, Chaîne des Rôtisseurs
- Editorial board member of Journal of Vacation Marketing
- Member of ATLAS, Trinet,
Johan looks at society and events with a purpose to highlight inequality in order to bring issues to common awareness. These matters of inequality can be found in all fields of studies and a conscious use of different theoretical lenses allows him to investigate matters in novel ways. The majority of his studies focus in different ways on tourism, hospitality, leisure, education and society - quite often using different popular culture sources as his data collection sites.
Links to Johan's research pages:
Johan prefers qualitative methods, though he sees the need for well performed quantitative studies to inform decision makers of generalisable matters. In looking at publications he has produced, three distinct categories can be distinguished;
- culturally critical tourism and hospitality studies;
- tourism and hospitality education studies; and
- clarifications of tourism and hospitality concepts.
Edelheim, J 2017, 'Chapter 32 - Teaching-research nexus in tourism, hospitality and event studies' in Benckendorff, P & Zehrer, A (eds) International Handbook of Teaching and Learning in Tourism, Edward Elgar: Cheltenham, UK, pp. 467-483
Edelheim, J (2015), Tourist Attractions ? from Objects to Narratives, Bristol, UK: Channel View Publications. ISBN 9781845415426
Edelheim, J 2014,'Chapter 3 - Ontological, epistemological and axiological issues' in Dredge, D, Airey, D & Gross, M (eds) Routledge Handbook of Tourism and Hospitality Education, Routledge: Oxon, UK, pp. 30-44.
Dredge, D, Schott, C, Daniele, Caton, K, Edelheim, J & Munar AM 2014, 'The tourism education futures initiative', Anatolia: An International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 26(1), pp. 1-7, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13032917.2014.930773
Zhou, Q, Zhang, J & Edelheim, J 2013,'Rethinking traditional Chinese culture: A consumer-based model regarding the authenticity of Chinese calligraphic landscape', Tourism Management 36(1) pp. 99-112, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2012.11.008
Edelheim, J 2007, 'Hidden Messages - A Polysemic Reading of Tourist Brochures', Journal of Vacation Marketing, 13(1), pp. 5-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1356766706071202
A range of
positions and roles in the fields of Education, Hospitality, Hotels and Tourism based in Australia, Finland, Sweden,
Germany, and Spain.
Link to my LinkedIn profile for a summary of my previous roles:
15.04 2017 - ongoing
Head of Department - The Norwegian School of Hotel Management (NHS), University of Stavanger, NORWAY20.08 2016 - 30.06.2017
Research Fellow - Multidimensional Tourism Institute (MTI), University of Lapland, FINLAND
10.08 2011 - 19.08.2016
Director, Professor - Multidimensional Tourism Institute (MTI), University of Lapland, FINLAND
01.09.2012 - 01.08.2016
Visiting Professor - Taylor's University, Taylor's Lakeside Campus, MALAYSIA
28.06.2004 - 29.10.2013 (1.11.2013 - 1.11.2016)
Lecturer, (later: Adjunct Fellow) - Southern Cross University (SCU), Gold Coast Beachside, AUSTRALIA
20.06.2000 - 15.07.2004
Lecturer - The International College of Management ? Sydney (ICMS), AUSTRALIA
- Edelheim, Johan Richard (2017). Luontoelämyksiä, rillumareitä, aitoa matkailua, vai jotain aivan muuta?. Lapin tutkimusseura - The Research Society of Lapland. ISBN 978-951-9327-73-0. 11 s.
- Edelheim, Johan Richard (2017). Lappi on matkailun tutkimuslaboratorio. Lapin Kansa. [Avis]; 2017-10-30.
- Edelheim, Johan Richard (2017). Miksi Suomessa on matkailututkimusta?. Messukeskus Helsinki; 2017-09-26 - 2017-09-29.
- Edelheim, Johan Richard (2017). The Princess, the Dragon and the Magic Land of Tourism. Aalborg University; 2017-08-20 - 2017-08-22.