Research interest in basin evolution of continental margins, tectonics, regional to reservoir scale analysis to define petroleum systems, sequence/seismic stratigraphy, all using Landmark and Petrel based workstations and interpretations of both 2D and 3D seismic data integrated with well and core data, GIS Arc/Info database management and visualization techniques.
- Escalona, A. and Mann, P., in press, Tectonics, basin subsidence mechanisms, and paleogeography of the Caribbean-South American plate boundary zone: Marine and Petroleum Geology
- Xie, X., Mann, P. and Escalona, A., in press, Regional provenance study of Eocene clastic sedimentary rocks within the SouthAmerica-Caribbean plate boundary zone using detrital zircon geochronology: Earth and Planetary Science letters
- Aitken, T., Mann, P. and Escalona, A., in press, Evolution of the Grenada and Tobago basins and implications for arc migration. Marine and Petroleum Geology
- Escalona, A., Mann, P. and Jaimes, M., in press, Miocene to Recent Cariaco basin, offshore Venezuela: Structure, tectonosequences, and basin-forming mechanisms. Marine and Petroleum Geology
- Garciacaro, E., Mann, P. and Escalona, A., in press, Regional structure and tectonic history of the obliquely colliding Columbus foreland basin, offshore Trinidad and Venezuela. Marine and Petroleum Geology
- Mondziel, S., Grindlay, N., Mann, P., Escalona, A. and Lew, A., in press, Morphology, structure and tectonic evolution of the Mona canyon (northern Mona passage) from multibeam bathymetry, sidescan sonar and seismic reflection profiles. tectonics
- Christeson, G., Mann, P. Escalona, A. and Aitken, T., 2008, Crustal structure of the Caribbean-northeastern South America arc-continent collision zone. Journal of Geophysical Research, v 113, B=8104, doi: 10.1029/2007JB005373
- Soto, M., Mann, P., Escalona, A. and Wood, L., 2007, Late Holocene strike-slip offset of a subsurface alluvial channel interpreted from 3D seismic data, eastern offshore Trinidad. Geology, v. 35, p. 859-862
- Gorney, D., Escalona, A., Mann, P., Magnani, M. and BOLIVAR Study Group, 2007, Chronology of Cenozoic tectonic events in western Venezuela and the Leeward Antilles based on integration of offshore seismic reflection data and on-land geology. The American Association of Petroleum Geologists, v. 91, p. 653-684
- Mann, P., Escalona, A. and Castillo, V., 2006, Regional geology and tectonic setting of the Maracaibo supergiant basin, western Venezuela. The American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 90, p. 445-478.
- Escalona, A., and Mann, P., 2006, Tectonic controls of the right-lateral Burro Negro tear fault on Paleogene structure and stratigraphy, northeastern Maracaibo Basin. The American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 90, p. 479-504.
- Duerto, L., Escalona, A. and Mann, P., 2006, Deep structure of the Mérida Andes and Sierra de Perijá mountain fronts, Maracaibo Basin. The American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 90, p. 505-528
- Escalona, A., and Mann, P., 2006, Sequence stratigraphic analysis of Eocene clastic foreland basin deposits in central Lake Maracaibo using high-resolution well correlation and 3D seismic data. The American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 90, p. 581-624.
- Escalona, A. and Mann, P., 2006, An overview of the petroleum systems of Maracaibo Basin. The American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 90, p. 657-678.
- Escalona, A., 2006, Petrophysical and seismic properties of lower Eocene clastic rocks in the central Maracaibo Basin. The American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 90, p. 679-696.
- Escalona, A. and Mann, P., 2003, Three-dimensional structural architecture and evolution of the Eocene pull-apart basin, Maracaibo, Venezuela, Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 20, p. 141-161.
- Lucas, Carol MacDonald and Escalona, Alejandro, 1998, 3D Characterization of the upper sandstone, Member C2X, east flank of the North Dome, Centro Lago field, Lake Maracaibo. The Leading Edge, v. 12, 1748-1752.
- Caribbean Basins, Tectonics and Hydrocarbons: This project is in collaboration with Dr. Paul Mann at the Institute for Geophysics at The University of Texas at Austin. The main goal of the project is to compile all the available digital seismic and published data in a regional basis - particularly offshore Venezuela, Colombia and Trinidad - to create an integrated geologic synthesis of tectonosequences, depositional systems, major structures, petroleum geology, paleogeographic maps, and quantitative plate reconstructions for a better understanding of the hydrocarbon systems in the region.
- Petroleum potential of accretionary prism: The aim of the research project is, by compiling and analyzing surface and subsurface data along accretionary prisms worldwide (e.g. Barbados, northern Australian shelf, Offshore Colombia, among others), to understand the different geologic processes that control the petroleum system. Some specific geologic problems include: interaction between tectonics and sedimentation, source and reservoir rock distribution, preservation potential of hydrocarbon traps, etc. The project is being developed by PhD student Sandra Whitsker
- Geographic information system applications: database management in the area of renewable and non-renewable energy resources. The project is being developed by research assitant Lisa Bingham
- Seismic characterization of fault zones using seismic data: The fundamental objective of this project is to evaluate to what extent 3D seismic data can be used to map fault envelopes and yield information about their internal structure.
2007-present Associate professor in Petroleum Geology at the Department of Petroleum Engineering, University of Stavanger, Norway. Head of the Petroleum Geosciences section and academic responsible for the Petroleum Geosciences Engineering bachelor and Master program
2007-present Researcher at the International research Institute of Stavanger
2004-2006 Postdoctoral researcher, Inst. for Geophysics, University of Texas at Austin. Technical leader in the CBTH consortium
2000-2003 Teacher and research assistant, Ins. for Geophysics, Dept. of Geological Sciences, Bureau of Economic Geology, University of Texas at Austin
1999 Lecturer at
the Department of Geology, Mines and Geophysics, Univ.Central de Venezuela
1997-1999 Lecturer at the Department of Geodesy, Univ. del Zulia
1995- 1999 Seismic interpreter-production geoscientist, Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A.