The course is for students interested in fieldwork related to geosciences. The fieldwork builds on experience in the field and focus on petroleum plays and a regional geological setting to be investigated. It is expected that the student is versatile in mapping, elaborating profiles and rock identification. This course includes a mandatory geological field trip.
Please note that there will be an extra cost for taking part in this excursion to cover travel and food costs. Due to logistical reasons, there is a maximum limit of 15 students.
Participation in this course will be decided by the student's average grades within his or hers respective study program. The field trip is mandatory.
- Knowledge on how to apply geological techniques in the field
- Knowledge on how to interpret Geological Processes in the field
- Basic knowledge of petroleum geological research
- Extend the geological field methodology to a specific problem in the field per
- Be comfortable two conduct basic geological mapping and profiling
- Be comfortable two orientate alone with topographic and geological maps in the field
- Design a geological map based on field observation and practice
- Interpret a geological map after working in the field
- Interpret a profile of a geological section in the context of a geological map
- Profiling and mapping of geological formations
- Giving short talks about the mapped and profiled sections and areas, respectively
- Description of the profiled and mapped areas in a sound report
The course includes a mandatory geological field trip.
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Tests, reports and assignments||1/1||A - F|
The evaluation forms in this course consist of an oral presentation, a written assignment and a project report accompanying the excursion.
- Oral assignment counting 15% of total grade
- Portfolio assessment counting 85 % of total grade, and includes:
- One written assignment counting 15%
- One project report counting 70%
Lecturer sets the final grade for the portfolio assessment.
- Course coordinator
- Udo Zimmermann
Method of work
- Few Lectures will be given and attendance is relevant
- Excursion is the main event and participation is obligatory
- Short talks at the excursion and small tasks will be given