Exemptions from the English language requirements are limited. A bachelor’s degree taught in English does not necessarily fall under one of the exemptions listed below.
Approved international tests/exams:
- Minimum score of 80 (Internet-based) or 550 (paper-based)
- Upload the TOEFL score report. Provide your ETS "username" and "password" in order to verify your scores. Name the PDF file as ENG.
- ETS TOEFL score reports are valid for two years from the test date and must be valid on the date of applying electronically to the University of Stavanger
- The University of Stavanger accepts local institutional TOEFL ITP tests if recognised by ETS TOEFL
- Minimum overall band score of 6.0
- Upload the IELTS Test Report Form. The University of Stavanger verifies these online. Name the PDF file as ENG.
- IELTS Test Report Forms are valid for two years from the test date and must be valid on the date of applying electronically to the University of Stavanger
- Minimum overall score of 53
- Upload the PTE Test Report. The University of Stavanger can verify the test report online.
- PTE score reports are valid for two years from the test date and must be valid on the date of applying electronically to the University of Stavanger.
- Certificate in Advanced English (C1) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (C2)
Exemptions and the GSU-list
The GSU-list (Higher Education Entrance Qualification for foreign applicants) is used by Norwegian universities in the admission process to higher education.
For each country, the GSU list indicates if there is an English language requirement, along with a number indicating which categories of applicants may be exempted.
- Applicants who have completed secondary school in one of the countries marked as “No” in the GSU-list
- Applicants from Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Estonia, France, Germany, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland (marked as "Yes 1" in the GSU-list) who fulfill the requirements mentioned in this list (pdf)
- Applicants who have obtained a Bachelor's degree in Ethiopia, Liberia, Namibia, or Philippines with English as the language of instruction (marked as "Yes 2" in the GSU-list)
- Applicants who have passed an A-Level examination in English in Hong Kong, Macao, Malaysia, or Namibia may be exempted (marked as "Yes 3" in the GSU-list)
- Applicants who have completed at least one year of university education taught in English in Australia, Canada, Ireland, the UK, the USA or New Zealand
- Applicants holding a bachelor’s degree in English Literature/Language/Linguistics, taught in English
- Applicants who have minimum one year of working experience in a company in Norway where English is the official working language. The applicant must submit a letter from the employer that confirms this and also evaluates the applicant’s written and oral skills in English