Natalia Kucirkova works as Professor of Early Childhood and Development at the University of Stavanger, Norway and Professor of Reading and Children's Development at the Open University, UK. She is also Honorary Visiting Professor at University College London, UK, Charted Psychologist and Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
Natalia?s work is concerned with social justice in children?s literacy and use of technologies. She is the founder of the International Collective of Children?s Digital Books that connects research and design in children?s e-books and literacy apps and Chair of the Children?s Digital Book Award that is the first award judged entirely by teachers. Her research takes place collaboratively across academia, commercial and third sectors and she holds the Emerald Global Impact Award for developing a ?Focus on Lifecycle Approaches to Impact?. Natalia is currently involved in the voluntary work of Red Cross in Norway and National Literacy Trust in the UK, and was previously actively involved in Save The Children and BookTrust, UK.
Natalia?s academic work has promoted innovative ways of supporting children?s book reading, digital literacy, and exploring the role of personalisation in the early years. She co-edits the Bloomsbury Book Series Children?s Reading and Writing on Screen and the journal Literacy published by Wiley. She has co-developed an award-winning MOOC Childhood in the Digital Age, an app for children?s story-making Our Story and professional development course for teachers Children?s Reading on Screen. Natalia is the leading co-editor for two International Routledge Handbooks and first author of more than forty peer-reviewed research articles. She wrote the books Digital Personalization in Early Childhood (Bloomsbury) and How and Why to Read and Create Children's Digital Books (UCL Press) and currently blogs for Huffington Post and Psychology Today.
Natalia currently supervises six PhD students and two Master students (no capacity for more).
Supporting scholars and academics to effectively communicate their research, transform practice and apply it to product development:
Researching how personalization affects empathy for out-group members and the extent to which children's literature promotes in-group biases
The use of children's personal data in large recommender systems
Volunteers reading with disadvantaged children through screens and in local libraries:
FILIORUM - Centre for Research in Early Education and Care
-Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Education, University College London, UK
-Senior Lecturer in Childhood Studies & Early Years, Faculty of Education, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
-Lecturer in Developmental Psychology, Faculty of Education, The Open University, UK
-Associate Lecturer in Psychology, Faculty of Education, The Open University, UK
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2020). Children's reading in the digital age : a research summary of children's digital books. In: The Routledge handbook of digital literacies in early childhood. Routledge. ISBN 9781138303881. p. 282-294.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2020). Digital literacies and children’s personalized books: Locating the ‘self’. London Review of Education. ISSN 1474-8460.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2020). Toward reciprocity and agency in children’s digital reading. The Reading teacher. ISSN 0034-0561. Volume 73. Booklet 6. p. 825-831. DOI: 10.102.trtr.1893.
- Kucirkova, Natalia; Cremin, Teresa (2020). Children Reading for Pleasure in the Digital Age, Raising the next generation of readers. Sage Publications. ISBN 9781526436627. 208 p.
- Kucirkova, Natalia; Flewitt, Rosie (2020). Understanding parents’ conflicting beliefs about children’s digital book reading. Journal of Early Childhood Literacy. ISSN 1468-7984. DOI: 10.1177/1468798420930361.
- Kucirkova, Natalia; Potter, John (2020). Digital literacies in the UK: Creating, navigating and curating content. In: Preparing globally minded literacy teacher : knowledge, practices and case studies. Routledge. ISBN 9780367027841. p. 61-77.
- Kucirkova, Natalia; Toda, Yuichi; Flewitt, Rosie (2020). Young children’s use of personalized technologies: insights from teachers and digital software designers in Japan. Technology, Knowledge and Learning. ISSN 2211-1662.
- Vezzoli, Y.; Kalantari, Sara; Kucirkova, Natalia; Vasalou, M. (2020). Exploring the design space for parent-child reading. In: CHI 2020 : Proceedings of the 2020 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA — April 25th -30th, 2020. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). ISBN 000-0-0000000-0-0.
- Huibers, Theo W. C.; Fails, Jerry Alan; Kucirkova, Natalia; Landoni, Monica; Murgia, Emiliana; Pera, Maria Soledad (2019). 3rd KidRec Workshop: What does good look like?. In: IDC '19: Proceedings of the 18th ACM International Conference on Interaction Design and Children. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). ISBN 978-1-4503-6690-8. p. 681-688.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Children’s Agency by Design: Design parameters for personalization in story-making apps. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction. ISSN 2212-8689. Volume 21. p. 112-120. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijcci.2019.06.003.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Children’s Reading With Digital Books: Past Moving Quickly to the Future. Child Development Perspectives. ISSN 1750-8592. Volume 13. Booklet 4. p. 208-214. DOI: 10.1111/cdep.12339.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). How could children’s storybooks promote empathy? A conceptual framework based on developmental psychology and literary theory. Frontiers in Psychology. ISSN 1664-1078. Volume 10. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00121.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Personalized Education and Technology: How Can We Find an Optimal Balance?. In: Exploring key issues in early childhood and technology : evolving perspectives and innovative approaches. Routledge. ISBN 9781138313798. p. 71-78.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Socio-material directions for developing empirical research on children’s e-reading: a systematic review and thematic synthesis of the literature across disciplines. Journal of Early Childhood Literacy. ISSN 1468-7984. DOI: 10.1177/1468798418824364.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). The Learning Value of Personalization in Children's Reading Recommendation Systems: What Can We Learn From Constructionism?. International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning. ISSN 1941-8647. Volume 11. Booklet 4. DOI: 10.4018/IJMBL.2019100106.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Theorising Materiality in Children’s Digital Books. Libri & Liberi. ISSN 1848-3488. Volume 8. Booklet 2. p. 279-292. DOI: 10.21066/carcl.libri.8.2.2.
- Kucirkova, Natalia; Rowe, Deborah Wells; Lucy, Oliver; Piestrzynski, Laura (2019). Systematic review of young children's writing on screen: what do we know and what do we need to know. Literacy. ISSN 1741-4350. DOI: 10.1111/lit.12173.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2020). Foreword.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). The Routledge International Handbook of Learning with Technology in Early Childhood. Routledge. ISBN 9781138308169. 420 p.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2020). The borderlines of datafied selves.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2020). 4th International and Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Children & Recommender and Information Retrieval Systems 'What does good look like: From design, research, and practice to policy'Co-located with ACM Interaction Design and Children (IDC) Conference 2020 - London, England. 2020-06-19.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2020). And a Selfie Must Follow, as the Night the Day The Psychology Today https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/just-you/202005/and-selfie-must-follow-the-night-the-day.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2020). The silver lining in corona times: video-call shared reading with children https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/parenting4digitalfuture/2020/06/03/video-call-reading-with-children/.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Children’s personalised books: a look back and a look ahead. 2019-10-08.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Connecting research to practice: personalized education. 2019-09-24.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Connecting research to practice: personalized education, invited keynote, Nordic Edge Expo EdTech Conference, Stavanger, Norway. 2019-09-26.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Co-organiser of interdisciplinary workshop 3rd KidRec Workshop: What does good look like?, ACM Interaction Design and Children (IDC) conference, Boise, Idaho, USA. 2019-06-12.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). E-books, apps and algorithms: the positives and limitations of children’s reading on screen. 2019-06-01.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Exploring Key Issues in Early Childhood and Technology- panellist part of a symposium. 2019-09-20 - 2019-09-22.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Exploring Key Issues in Early Childhood and Technology (invited panelist, panel chaired by Chip Donohue). The National Association for the Education of Young Children; 2019-11-20 - 2019-11-23.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Families reading with young children in the digital age: Insights from research. Foreningen Les!; 2019-04-12.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Forget swiping. Your next date will be based on your genes. Wired. [Journal]; 2019-12-19.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). I was interviewed by a BBC journalist Gorana Jelovina for a planned programme about children's screentime.. International. [TV]; 2019-01-30.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Organiser and Chair of Symposium1 ‘Cross-disciplinary and international insights into children’s reading on screen’ and Symposium2 ‘Reconceptualizing Book Sharing with Young Children in a Digital Era’ and presenter of Individual paper ‘Promising Personalized Features of Digital Books’, Reconceptualising Early Childhood Literacies: An International Conference, Manchester, UK. DigiLitEY COST Action; 2019-03-07 - 2019-03-09.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Organiser and chair of symposium ‘Turning to Affect to Imagine Socially Just Pedagogies for Reading for Pleasure’, UKLA International Conference, Sheffield, UK. 2019-07-12 - 2019-07-14.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Pedagogical and digital competence in Time municipality: insights from research. 2019-12-09.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Personalised pluralisation in art. Conde Nast College; 2019-03-06.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Personalised pluralisation in art,Wired Speaker Series, Conde Nast College, London, Invited presentation. 2019-03-06.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Psychology Today (regular contribution of blogs) https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/experts/natalia-kucirkova-phd.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Reader, come home: the reading brain in a digital world.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Reading in the 21st Century: What Skills and Values do we need?. 2019-09-16.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Reading to your child? Digital books are as important as print books.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Study links high levels of screen time to slower child development. The Guardian/International. [Newspaper]; 2019-01-28.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Symposium Chair for ‘Children’s reading on screen: the unique case of digital books’ and presenter of paper ‘Insights from research on children’s digital books in the UK’, Skriv! Les! Conference, Stavanger, Norway. 2019-05-07 - 2019-05-09.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). The International Collective of Children's Digital Books.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Turning to Affect to Imagine Socially Just Pedagogies for Reading for Pleasure. 2019-07-12 - 2019-07-14.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Use of Digital Resources in Early Childhood Literacy Development. International Literacy Association; 2019-10-10 - 2019-10-13.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Young children's use of apps: myths, realities and evidence-based criteria. 2019-04-17.
- Kucirkova, Natalia; Collier, Diane (2019). Editorial for Literacy (Wiley).
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2020). I contributed to this MOOC by the Open University 'Childhood in the digital age' https://www.open.edu/openlearn/ocw/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=21138. The Open University.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2020). Website with resources for teachers and designers in English and Norwegian, funded by Grant No. 275576 from The Research Council of Norway. http://www.childrensdigitalbooks.com/. FILIORUM.