Dr. Yihan Xing is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering / Subsea Technology at the Department of Mechanical and Structural Engineering and Materials Science, University of Stavanger (UiS), Norway since May 2019. Prior to joining UiS, Professor Xing was a senior mechanical analysis specialist and subsea pipeline lead engineer in the Norwegian oil and gas sector. Professor Xing has been closely involved in the product development of highly advanced flow meters, downhole sensors, remotely-operated vehicles, and re-design of several high-profile North Sea subsea pipelines. In recent years, he has been heavily involved in the engineering and development of sensor equipment used in high pressure and high temperature wells found in deep water field developments located in the Gulf of Mexico. In addition, he has also contributed to numerous stringent product certification and design verification projects of new products for topside, subsea and downhole applications. In total, Professor Xing has close to 10 years? industrial experience within mechanical and subsea engineering in leading companies. Professor Xing also has a good track record in the academic research of the drivetrain in offshore floating wind turbines with more than 20 relevant scientific publications in the subject. He has more than 400 citations with an H-index of 11. Professor Xing has carried out offshore wind energy drivetrain research as at the Centre of Ships and Ocean Structures (CeSOS), Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) for five years. During his time at CeSOS, Professor Xing had important researcher roles in collaborative projects such as EU FP7 Marina Floating Platform and National Renewable Energy Laboratory?s (NREL?s) Gearbox Reliability Collaborative. Professor Xing?s research activities span across ocean renewables, modelling and simulations, multi-physics engineering analysis, advanced structural analysis, offshore oil and gas Engineering and subsea technologies. Professor Xing obtained his MSc and PhD in Marine Technology from Norwegian University of Science and Technology and has a B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering (1st class honors) from National University of Singapore.
- Subsea Technology
- High Pressure and High Temperature Subsea Equipment
- Analysis of Novel Materials for Subsea Applications
- Flow-Induced Vibrations in Subsea Equipment
- Fatigue and Reliability Analysis of Machines and Structures
- Vibration of Complex Machinery Systems
- Multi-Body Dynamics
- Computational Welding Mechanics
- OpenModelica Modeling of Complex Machinery Systems
- Wind Turbine Drivetrains
Please see the link for my publication list:
Please contact me directly if you are interested to work on mechanical engineering topics within subsea technology for your bachelor or masters thesis.
May 2019 to Present: Professor (Mechanical Enginering / Subsea Technology)
Department of Mechanical and Structural Engineering and Material Science, Univeristy of Stavanger, Norway
Aug 2018 to Apr 2019: Assistant Professor
Marine, Naval Architectural and Offshore Engineering, Engineering Cluster, Singapore Institute of Technology, Singapore
Mar 2017 to Jul 2018: Senior Mechanical Analyst
Roxar, Emerson Automation Solutions, Stavanger, Norway
Oct 2014 to Feb 2017: Mechanical Analyst
Roxar, Emerson Automation Solutions, Stavanger, Norway
Apr 2013 to Oct 2014: Analysis Engineer
IKM Ocean Design, Stavanger, Norway
- Xing, Yihan; Eriksson, Nicolai Bull; Ong, Muk Chen; Knutsen, C. (2019). Contact stresses associated with the wedge-lock mechanism in a prototype subsea pipeline recovery tool. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. ISSN 1757-8981. Volume 700. Booklet 1. DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/700/1/012020.
- Xing, Yihan; Fotland, Kristian; Ong, Muk Chen (2019). OpenModelica Modelling of the Thruster in a Compact Subsea Work-Class Remotely Operated Vehicle. In: ASME 2019 38th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. Volume 7A: Ocean Engineering. ASME Press. ISBN 978-0-7918-5884-4.
- Xing, Yihan; Xu, Wenxin; Buratti, Valentina (2019). The correlation and determination matrices associated with the burst design of a subsea carbon-fibre-epoxy composite flow-line. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. ISSN 1757-8981. Volume 700. Booklet 1. DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/700/1/012021.
- Ong, Muk Chen; Liu, Shengnan; Liestyarini, Utari Cendhy; Xing, Yihan (2017). Three Dimensional Numerical Simulation of Flow in Blind-Tee Pipes. In: MekIT’17 - Ninth national conference on Computational Mechanics. International Center for Numerical Methods in Engineering (CIMNE). ISBN 978-84-947311-1-2. p. 299-309.
- Sethuraman, Latha; Xing, Yihan; Venugopal, Vengatesan; Gao, Zhen; Mueller, Markus; Moan, Torgeir (2017). A 5MW direct-drive generator for floating spar-buoy wind turbine: Drive-train dynamics. Proceedings of the Institution of mechanical engineers. Part C, journal of mechanical engineering science. ISSN 0954-4062. Volume 231. Booklet 4. p. 744-763. DOI: 10.1177/0954406215623306.
- Jiang, Zhiyu; Xing, Yihan; Guo, Yi; Moan, Torgeir; Gao, Zhen (2015). Long-term contact fatigue analysis of a planetary bearing in a land-based wind turbine drivetrain. Wind Energy. ISSN 1095-4244. Volume 18. Booklet 4. p. 591-611. DOI: 10.1002/we.1713.
- Rasekhi Nejad, Amir; Xing, Yihan; Guo, Yi; Keller, Jonathan; Gao, Zhen; Moan, Torgeir (2015). Effects of floating sun gear in a wind turbine’s planetary gearbox with geometrical imperfections. Wind Energy. ISSN 1095-4244. Volume 18. Booklet 12. p. 2105-2120. DOI: 10.1002/we.1808.
- Sethuraman, Latha; Xing, Yihan; Gao, Zhen; Venugopal, Vengatesan; Mueller, Markus; Moan, Torgeir (2014). A 5MW direct-drive generator for floating spar-buoy wind turbine: Development and analysis of a fully coupled mechanical model. Proceedings of the Institution of mechanical engineers. Part A, journal of power and energy. ISSN 0957-6509. Volume 228. Booklet 7. p. 718-741. DOI: 10.1177/0957650914537262.
- Xing, Yihan; Karimirad, Madjid; Moan, Torgeir (2014). Modelling and analysis of floating spar-type wind turbine drivetrain. Wind Energy. ISSN 1095-4244. Volume 17. Booklet 4. p. 565-587. DOI: 10.1002/we.1590.
- Dong, Wenbin; Xing, Yihan; Moan, Torgeir; Gao, Zhen (2013). Time domain-based gear contact fatigue analysis of a wind turbine drivetrain under dynamic conditions. International Journal of Fatigue. ISSN 0142-1123. Volume 48. p. 133-146. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2012.10.011.
- LaCava, William; Xing, Yihan; Marks, Chris; Guo, Yi; Moan, Torgeir (2013). Three-dimensional bearing load share behavior in the planetary stage of a wind turbine gearbox. IET Renewable Power Generation. ISSN 1752-1416. Volume 7. Booklet 4. p. 359-369. DOI: 10.1049/iet-rpg.2012.0274.
- Xing, Yihan; Moan, Torgeir (2013). Multi-body modelling and analysis of a planet carrier in a wind turbine gearbox. Wind Energy. ISSN 1095-4244. Volume 16. Booklet 7. p. 1067-1089. DOI: 10.1002/we.1540.
- Dong, Wenbin; Xing, Yihan; Moan, Torgeir (2012). Time Domain Modeling and Analysis of Dynamic Gear Contact Force in a Wind Turbine Gearbox with Respect to Fatigue Assessment. Energies. ISSN 1996-1073. Volume 5. Booklet 11. p. 4350-4371. DOI: 10.3390/en5114350.
- Moan, Torgeir; Gao, Zhen; Karimirad, Madjid; Bachynski, Erin Elizabeth; Etemaddar, Mahmoud; Jiang, Zhiyu; Kvittem, Marit Irene; Muliawan, Made Jaya; Xing, Yihan (2012). Recent Developments of the Design and Analysis of Floating Wind Turbines. In: ICSOT: Developments in Fixed & Floating Offshore Structures. Royal Institution of Naval Architects. ISBN 978-1-905040-99-5. p. 1-12.
- Nejad, Amir R; Xing, Yihan; Moan, Torgeir (2012). Gear Train Internal Dynamics in Large Offshore Wind Turbines. In: 2012 Proceedings of the ASME 11th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis (ESDA2012)-Volume 3. ASME Press. ISBN 978-0-7918-4486-1. p. 823-832.
- Xing, Yihan; Pedersen, Eilif; Moan, Torgeir (2011). An inertia-capacitance beam substructure formulation based on the bond graph method with application to rotating beams. Journal of Sound and Vibration. ISSN 0022-460X. Volume 330. Booklet 21. p. 5114-5130. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsv.2011.05.025.
- Sethuraman, Latha; Xing, Yihan; Gao, Zhen; Venugopal, Vengatesan; Mueller, M.; Moan, Torgeir (2014). A multi-body model of a direct drive generator for a wind Turbine. 2014-03-10 - 2014-03-13.
- Jiang, Zhiyu; Xing, Yihan; Dong, Wenbin; Moan, Torgeir; Gao, Zhen (2013). Long-Term Probability Distribution of Wind Turbine Planetary Bearing Loads. 2013-05-05 - 2013-05-08.
- Xing, Yihan; Guo, Yi; Keller, Jonathan; Moan, Torgeir (2013). Model Fidelity Study of Dynamic Transient Loads in a Wind Turbine Gearbox. 2013-05-05 - 2013-05-08.
- LaCava, William; Xing, Yihan; Guo, Yi; Moan, Torgeir (2012). Determining Wind Turbine Gearbox Model Complexity Using Measurement Validation and Cost Comparison. 2012-04-16 - 2012-04-19.
- Xing, Yihan; Karimirad, Madjid; Moan, Torgeir (2012). Effect of Spar-Type Floating Wind Turbine Nacelle Motion on Drivetrain Dynamics. 2012-04-16 - 2012-04-19.