A PhD holder and lecturer at the University of Stavanger, founder of Hagit Yakira Dance Company, with over 10 years? experience choreographing and 20 years? experience teaching dance in the UK, EU, Scandinavia and Israel. Informed by a Dance Movement Therapy background.
Award Winning Israeli choreographer Hagit Yakira founded Hagit Yakira Dance Company in 2007 and has since gone on to tour the UK, Europe, Scandinavia and Israel. To date, she has created eight works for her company amongst many other commissioned works for companies and institutions. Awards that Hagit has won include First Prize for Oh Baby (Kajaani Choreography Competition, Finland 2009) and Second Prize forSomewhere between a self and another (Burgos New York Choreography Competition, Spain 2007). Hagit has a PhD from City University - Trinity Laban and she is a qualified Dance Movement Therapist. Hagit creates work whereby human experiences, movement and dance are uniquely and poetically interwoven into an individual interpretation of relationships and emotions through dance and performance.
Hagit Yakira Dance connects people through subtle and striking dance. With emotion at its core and a sophisticated movement style, the work resonates intimately with audiences. In 2007 Hagit started a dance company dedicated to open, relevant and relatable work informed by her background in Dance Movement Therapy. Hagit creates work whereby human experiences, movement and dance are uniquely and poetically interwoven into an individual interpretation of relationships and emotions through dance and performance. Hagit leads her company with infectious energy, enthusiasm and a genuine interest in her collaborators? own artistic voices. The company today is a collective of artists, collaborators, professional and non-professional dancers simply sharing her vision and an appreciation for dance as a down-to-earth medium for expression and connection. Audiences engage with the work because of its empathic nature that draws out the feelings and emotion in the dancers that are identifiable to all.
Choreography, Dance and the Community, Participatory Work, Improvisation, Site Generic and Site Specific, Dance Education, Somatic Work, Inclusive Dance Practices, Dance and Performativity, Dance and Society, Dance Movement Therapy.
If One Keeps Walking ? current ? Commissioned by Sadler?s Wells, Trinity Laban, University of Stavanger, Tou Scene, RAS. With the support of Arts Council England & Norway Arts Council.
Free Falling ? 2016 ? current - Commissioned by Sadler?s Wells, Dance4 & Trinity Laban. With the support of Art Council England & Spin Arts.
Air Hunger ? the Respond Project ? 2014 ? current - Commissioned by Respond Project, Yorkshire Dance Leeds, the University of Leeds, Breakfast Creative and Liz Lerman after winning an international competition. Touring nationally and internationally for last 2 years.
?in the middle with you- 2013-2015 - A production co-commissioned by the Greenwich Dance and Trinity-Laban Partnership; it is supported by Arts Council England, Spin Arts and Independent Dance. Touring nationally and internationally. The piece was featured in British Dance Edition 2014.
Sunday Morning - 2011-2012 - Supported by Arts Council England, commissioned by Laban Theatre, London and supported by The Place, London and Dancebase, Edinburgh. Touring nationally.
More work of Hagit Yakira dance: 2B- 2009-2010 (was created as part of the 'Choreodrome'- The Place, touring nationally and internationally). Oh Baby- 2008 ? 2010 (this piece won the first prize in the Kajaani International Dance Competition, Finland, touring nationally and internationally). Somewhere between a self and an other- 2006 ? 2008 (this piece won the second prize in Burgos-New York competition, Spain).
Air Hunger- community project ? 2014
On Falling and Recovering ? 2016
Peformance Projects and Geust Choreographer:
Witkacy Theatre Zakopane Poland, University of Stavanger Norway, Centro Opus Ballet Italy, Transition Dance Company UK, Edge Dance Company UK, London Contemporary Dance School, MAP Dance Company UK, YDance Scotland, på tå hev 2016, rogalandsgruppa Norway, Northern School of Contemporary Dance UK, Candoco Dance Company UK, Scottish Dance Theatre Company, Bikurie Haetim Israel, TanzCompagnie Giessen, Germany, Big Dance UK, The Place Prize ?Bloomberg project? and many more.
2017 ? present - If One Keeps Walking
· Commissioned by Sadler?s Wells, Trinity Laban, Laban Theatre, University of Stavanger, CODA International Dance Festival, Tou Scene & RAS
· Supported by Arts Council England & Arts Council Norway
· Collaboration between 5 female performers, a composer, a voice artist ? live music, costume designer, lighting designer, a dramaturge, and 35-60 non-professional dancers from the community
· UK and Norway tours
guest choreographer, performance projects ? essentials only
· Sea of Details - Edge Dance Company UK
· From a Sway ? UiS 3rd year students? graduation show, Norway
· Platinum ? 50 dancers and non-dancers Royal Albert Hall UK
· Walk on the Soft Side ? UiS 3rd year students? graduation show, Norway
· Fire - Witkacy Theatre company, Zakopane, Poland
· Between Energies and Details - Centro Opus Ballet Florence, Italy
· The ar/ct of Moving Forward - Transition Dance Company, UK
· About Touch - MAP Dance Company, UK
· On Traveling ? the Youth Company CAT Birmingham, UK
· GO! - YDance Glasgow, UK
· A Creative Research at Centro Opus Ballet Florence, Italy
· Slowing Down the Time - på tå hev, rogalandsgruppa, Opera House, Oslo, Norway
· About Time - London Contemporary Dance School 3rd year students? graduation show, UK
· Repertoire Hagit Yakira Dance - Northern School of contemporary Dance UK
· Falling again? - Northern School of Contemporary Dance, UK
· The moment I fall I recover again - UiS 4th year students? graduation show, Norway
· The Song - UiS 3rd year students? graduation show, Norway
· The only time I feel good falling - Northern School of Contemporary Dance 2nd year students, UK
· Stuck in the middle with you - UiS 4th year students? graduation show, Norway
· Wild - Dance United, UK
· Big Dance performance project , UK
· Anna Blum - TanzCompagnie Giessen, Germany
· Bloomberg staff project, Bagaboom! - The Place Prize, Bloomberg Company, UK
· It Is a Hello ? Trinity Laban's Students, UK
· 20 Women - The Place, UK
employment ? teaching & GUEST CHOREOGRAPHER - essentials only
Hagit Yakira has developed a unique style, creative process and approach to dance. Combining her skills and expertise as a dance movement therapist with her philosophical approaches to dance, performance and education, Hagit encourages a passionate, emotional and experimental approach to dancing. In her method she integrates improvisation, a number of Dance Movement Therapy principles, contact work, release technique, Yoga and Authentic Movement. Hagit aims to develop creativity and virtuosity, as well as physical and mental awareness. She invites participants to be spontaneous and daring, precise and clear.
Areas of teaching: release technique, improvisation, contact improvisation, choreography, creative work, artistic research, repertoire
· Artistic Director Hagit Yakira Dance
· University of Stavanger, Norway
Guest teacher / choreographer - present
· The Place / London Contemporary Dance School, UK
· Trinity Laban, UK
· Northern School of Contemporary Dance, UK
· Wingate College for Higher Education, Israel
Employed ? past ? the last eight years
· Trinity Laban, UK
· Birkbeck University, UK
· The Place, London, UK
· Israeli Dance Institution, UK
Free Lance Internationally ? in the last seven years - Essentials Only
· Europe & Scandinavia: ImpulsTanz Vienna Austria, Devil Dance Festival Hungary, TanzCompagnie Giessen Germany, workshops in Sweden, Spain, Italy, Finland, Poland, Norway
· UK: The Place, Greenwich Dance, Candoco Dance Company, Scottish Dance Theatre, Laban Summer school, Independent Dance London, ID Graduate Lab London, Tripspace, Dansebase Edinburgh; Dance house Glasgow; University of Hertfordshire; York University; Yorkshire Dance, Bath Dance, Roehampton University, Dance Exchange, Edge Hill University,
· Israel: Seminar Hakibuzim, Jerusalem Academy, Mahol Shalem, Bikurie Haetim, Hangar Adama, Wingate Collage, Beit Zvi Acting School, Talma YalinPublished articles & papers on Hagit?s work ? essentials only
2016 ? 2018 - Free Falling
· Play to See - 5 stars
· London Theatre ? 5 stars
- Dance Direct
- Exeunt Magazine
- London News Online
- Blog Northern School of Contemporary Dance Leeds
- Article 19
2017 ? 2018 - Air Hunger
· Dance Direct
· Exeunt Magazine
· London News Online
· Blog Northern School of Contemporary Dance Leeds
2012 ? 2015 - ?in the middle with you
· Londonist - 4 stars
· Exeunt Magazine ? 4 stars
· Fjord Review
· London Dance
· Article 19
· Frost Review
· The Upcoming
2010 - Teaching ? workshops
· Tatler Magazineaward, residency & others
· in the Kajaani International Dance Competition, Finlandin Burgos New York Choreography Competition (New Dance Trend Category), Spain
· 2016 - Wild Card ? Sadler?s Wells, UK ? inviting top dance artists from around the UK and Europe to react to Free Falling?s performance for two evenings
· 2006, 2007, 2008 ? Soft Cuts ? Blue Elephant Theatre, UK ? curating with Maria Korsnes dance performances for emerging dance artists and performance artists from London.
· 2010 ? Soft Cuts ? The Other, UK ? curating with Maria Korsnes an art event for emerging artists from different art forms
· 2007, 2008, 2011 ? An Evening of Dance ? Quay Arts, UK - curating with Yonat Bitler dance performances for emerging dance artists from the Isle of White and greater London, UK
- Smith, Bettina; Brækhus, Stein Inge; Røttingen, Einar; Yttredal, Tor; Hammersland, Frode; Stergiopoulos, Petros; Ben-Horin, Oded; Yakira, Hagit (2018). The Big Bang.
- Yakira, Hagit (2017). Free Falling - a double bill. in the UK - Sadler's Wells, Laban Theatre, Dance4, etc.
- Yakira, Hagit (2017). Free Falling - a dance performance Plymouth UK.
- Yakira, Hagit (2017). Free Falling - a double bill.
- Yakira, Hagit (2017). Free Falling - dance performance.
- Yakira, Hagit (2017). Free Falling - dance performance.
- Yakira, Hagit (2017). Free Falling - dance performance Bristol, UK.
- Yakira, Hagit (2017). Free Falling - dance performance Performance Laban Theatre, London, UK.
- Yakira, Hagit (2017). Free Falling - dance performance Wales, UK.
- Yakira, Hagit (2017). Free Falling- a dance performance Leeds UK.
- Yakira, Hagit (2017). www.hagityakira.com.