I joined Department of Media and Social Sciences, UiS as Associate Professor in Sociology in 2017. I received my PhD in Sociology of Education from The University of Hong Kong (HKU) in 2014, and obtained my MPhil from University of Oslo (UiO) in 2009. A qualified lecturer in higher education, I have taught English as a second language in universities in mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, China and Norway.
My research combines collaboration between different social science disciplines in the fields of sociology, educational science and psychology, using analytical lenses including social class, gender, identity and ethnicity. My current work comprises four major branches: mobility of university graduates; graduate entrepreneurship across cultures; anti-bullying from the sociocultural perspective; and internationalization of higher education, underpinned by a strong agenda in achieving social justice through research and public engagement.
Currently, I also serve as Editorial Board Member for the journal Beijing International Review of Education, Board Member for the research consortium Network for Research into Chinese Education Mobilities (NRCEM), and Deputy Board Member at Nordic Association for China Studies (NACS).
- Employability and mobility of university graduates
- Graduate entrepreneurship and regional innovation
- Bullying and cyberbullying from the sociocultural perspective
- Internationalization of higher education
1. Dian Liu , Dennis Wong & Erling Roland: The Family-School Linkage in Bullying Addressing in Hong Kong: A Socio-cultural Perspective. Chinese Education & Society . Vol 51, no. 6. Forthcoming.
2. Kwok Kuen Tsang & Dian Liu , Yanbi Hong (2019): Qualitative Research Methods in Empirical Social Sciences Studies --Young Scholars' Perspectives. In Kwok Kuen Tsang & Dian Liu, Yanbi Hong (eds). Challenges and Opportunities in Qualitative Research: Young Scholars' Experiences Sharing. Springer.
3. Dian Liu (2019): Problems and Coping Strategies in Conducting Comparative Research in School Bullying between China and Norway. In Kwok Kuen Tsang & Liu Dian, Hong Yanbi (eds). Challenges and Opportunities in Qualitative Research: Young Scholars' Experiences Sharing . Springer.
4. Yanbi Hong, Kwok Kuen Tsang & Dian Liu (2019): Research Dilemma and Feasible Strategies. In Kwok Kuen Tsang & Dian Liu, Yanbi Hong (eds). Challenges and Opportunities in Qualitative Research: Young Scholars' Experiences Sharing. Springer.
5. Dian Liu (2018): Social capital, cultural capital and graduate job search - a literature review. Journal of City Research of Macau . Social Sciences Academic Press (China). ISBN 978-7-5201-3197-1. pp. 167-186.
6. Cheng Yong Tan & Dian Liu (2017): What is the Influence of Cultural Capital on Student Reading Achievement in Confucian as Compared to Non-Confucian Heritage Societies? Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education. DOI: 10.1080 / 03057925.2017.1369392
2017-: Associate Professor, University of Stavanger, Stavanger, Norway
2015-2016: Post-doctoral fellow, University of Stavanger, Stavanger, Norway
2012-2014: Residential tutor, University of Hong Kong, HKSAR, China
2010-2014: PhD fellow, University of Hong Kong, HKSAR, China
2008-2009: Chair, Chinese Student and Scholar's Association in Oslo, Norway
2006-2007: Lecturer and Student Affairs Officer, Wuhan Bioengineering Institute, China
2004-2005: Journalist, Chutian Metropolis Daily, Hubei Daily Media Group, Wuhan, China
- Liu, Dian (2018). Social capital, cultural capital and graduate job search--a literature review. I: Journal of City Research of Macau. Social Sciences Academic Press (China). ISBN 978-7-5201-3197-1. s. 167-186.
- Liu, Dian; Wong, Sing-wing Dennis; Roland, Erling Georg (2018). The Family–School Linkage in Addressing Bullying in Hong Kong: A Sociocultural Perspective. Chinese education and society. ISSN 1061-1932. Volum 51. Hefte 6. s. 462-475. DOI: 10.1080/10611932.2018.1570799.
- Tan, Cheng Yong; Liu, Dian (2017). What is the influence of cultural capital on student reading achievement in Confucian as compared to non-Confucian heritage societies?. Compare. ISSN 0305-7925. Volum 48. Hefte 6. s. 896-914. DOI: 10.1080/03057925.2017.1369392.
- Liu, Dian; Hong, Yanbi (2016). The Career Prospects of University Graduates from Urban Families: a Cultural Perspective. I: Chinese Higher Education Reform and Social Justice. Routledge. ISBN 9780415711227. s. 66-79.
- Tsang, Kwok Kuen; Liu, Dian (2016). Teacher Demoralization, Disempowerment, and School Administration. Qualitative Research in Education. ISSN 2014-6418. Volum 5. Hefte 2. s. 197-222.
- Liu, Dian (2015). Parental Involvement and University Graduate Employment in China. Journal of Education and Work. ISSN 1363-9080. DOI: 10.1080/13639080.2015.1049029.
- Liu, Dian (2014). Graduate Employment in China: Current Trends and Issues. Chinese education and society. ISSN 1061-1932. Volum 47. Hefte 6. s. 3-11. DOI: 10.1080/10611932.2014.994897.
- Liu, Dian (2012). Re-Examining the Central Assignment Policy between 1949 and 1985--A Historical Review. Research Studies in Education. Volum 10. s. 115-129.
- Wang, Dan; Liu, Dian; Lai, Chun (2012). Expansion of higher education and the employment crisis: policy innovations in China. On the Horizon. ISSN 1074-8121. Volum 20. Hefte 4. s. 336-344. DOI: 10.1108/10748121211272470.
- Kwok, Kuen Tsang; Liu, Dian; Hong, Yanbi (2019). Challenges and Opportunities in Qualitative Research--Sharing Young Scholars’ Experiences. Springer. ISBN 978-981-13-5810-4. 160 s.
- Liu, Dian (2018). Culture capital, campus experience and job search -- The discrepancy of the urban and rural graduates employment in middle China.
- Liu, Dian (2017). Graduate Entrepreneurship in Contemporary China: An Empirical Evidence.
- Liu, Dian (2017). The Alignment between Higher Education and Labor Market--Cooperation Between University of Stavanger and Southeast University. 2017-09-17 - 2017-09-20.
- Liu, Dian (2016). Introducing the anti-bullying work in Norway: national strategies, societal responses and practices. City University of Hong Kong; 2016-11-08 - 2016-11-12.
- Liu, Dian (2016). School bullying in Hong Kong: what facts we have known and what reactions could be taken?.
- Liu, Dian; Fandrem, Hildegunn (2016). Bullying, victimization and anti-isolation among rural undergraduates in Chinese elite universities. DCU; 2016-06-09 - 2016-06-10.
- Liu, Dian (2015). Bullying Addressing in Family Settings: Introducing the Film Approach. Hubei Provincial Family Education Center; 2015-07-16.
- Liu, Dian (2015). Forekomst av mobbing I forskjellige land.
- Liu, Dian (2015). Guest editing the Vol.48 No.1 of the speical issue:Graduate Employment in China: Current Trends and Issues.
- Liu, Dian (2015). Online Social Network, Cyberbullying, and Campus Experience of Chinese Youth. 2015-09-08 - 2015-09-12.
- Liu, Dian (2015). Parental Involvement, Campus Culture and School Bullying in Norway and China: a Comparative Perspective. Caritas Institute of Higher Education; 2015-12-15 - 2015-12-18.
- Liu, Dian (2014). China's Soft Power: Confucian Pedagogy.
- Liu, Dian (2014). Guest editing the Vol.47 No.6 of the speical issue:Graduate Employment in China: Current Trends and Issues.
- Liu, Dian (2013). Mapping Social Network-Job Search Nexus in Sociological Research: A Literature Review.