Dr Ari Tarigan obtained his Doctoral of Engineering from Kyoto University, Japan where he wrote a dissertation on Transportation Engineering and Planning, taking a topic about Intrapersonal variability of leisure travel behaviour under the supervision of late Professor Ryuichi Kitamura. Prior to that, he did a Master of Science program at IHE Delft, Netherlands on Municipal Water Infrastructure. His research and teaching areas include road safety, traffic engineering, travel behaviour, transportation planning, water and wastewater system, urban infrastructure planning. In the preliminary stage of his education activities, he did his bachelor of engineering from Bandung Institute of Technology, Bandung, Indonesia.
As an academic, he has had many opportunities to collaborate with experts from other fields as well as working together with people from governmental and non-governmental organisations in urban infrastructure projects. Dr Tarigan worked 6 years in a French-owned energy company in Norway and was involved in numerous construction and maintenance projects for energy infrastructures. He also worked for 2 years as a project engineer/collaborator with IRIS.
Dr Tarigan is currently a tenured Associate Professor at deparment of safety, economics, and planning, University of Stavanger. He won a competitive UiS's research grant for a mobility program to visit Graduate School of Engineering, Kyoto University, Japan and Ritsumeikan University. Together with NIBIO, he has been recently awarded a generous research grant from the University Fund to execute a research project on "Green Infrastructure for liveable and sustainable cities" (2019-2023).
He is available to discuss any possibilities related to his field for research and industry-based projects. He has no research fund for PhD projects at the moment, but he always welcomes potential researchers with external/own funding that are willing to collaborate or working under his supervision.
He has secured a small-scale research grant, the 2020 Åsgard Research programme, a cooperation project between the Research Council of Norway and the Department for scientific cooperation of the French Embassy in Norway. He will do a one-week visit to a few top engineering colleges in Paris in 2021.
Tarigan, A.K.M., Sagala, S., Sasongko, A. From risk to resilience: Assessments of climate-change vulnerabilities in Semarang. Submitted for publication.
Sagala, S., Tarigan, A.K.M., Alberdi H.A., Faruq U.A., Institution adaptive capacity: A qualitative framework to measure energy security in Palembang. Submitted for publication.
2018-now: Associate Professor, University of Stavanger, Stavanger, Norway
2018: Postdoctoral Fellow, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
2012: Project Engineer, Engie Fabricom, Stavanger, Norway
2010: Project Collaborator, IRIS, Stavanger, Norway
2006: Stipendiat, Graduate School of Engineering, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
- Irawan, Muhammad Zudhy; Belgiawan, Prawira Fajarindra; Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Wijanarko, Fajar (2019). To compete or not compete: exploring the relationships between motorcycle-based ride-sourcing, motorcycle taxis, and public transport in the Jakarta metropolitan area. Transportation. ISSN 0049-4488. DOI: 10.1007/s11116-019-10019-5.
- Joewono, Tri Basuki; Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Rizki, Muhammad (2019). Segmentation, Classification, and Determinants of In-Store Shopping Activity and Travel Behaviour in the Digitalisation Era: The Context of a Developing Country. Sustainability. ISSN 2071-1050. Volum 11. Hefte 6. DOI: 10.3390/su11061591.
- Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira (2019). Expectations, attitudes, and preferences regarding support and purchase of eco-friendly fuel vehicles. Journal of Cleaner Production. ISSN 0959-6526. Volum 227. s. 10-19. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.04.190.
- Sukor, Nur Sabahiah Abdul; Basri, Nur Khairiyah; Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira (2018). The role of incentives towards adolescents’ commitment to use public transport in Malaysia. Transportation planning and technology (Print). ISSN 0308-1060. Volum 41. DOI: 10.1080/03081060.2018.1435451.
- Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Sagala, Saut (2018). The pursuit of greenness: explaining low-carbon urban transformation in Indonesia. International Planning Studies. ISSN 1356-3475. Volum 23. Hefte 4. s. 408-426. DOI: 10.1080/13563475.2018.1513360.
- Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Sukor, Nur Sabahiah Abdul (2018). Consistent versus inconsistent behaviour of helmet use among urban motorcyclists in Malaysia. Safety Science. ISSN 0925-7535. Volum 109. s. 324-332. DOI: 10.1016/j.ssci.2018.06.019.
- Wimbardana, Ramanditya; Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Sagala, Saut (2018). Does a Pedestrian Environment Promote Walkability? Auditing a Pedestrian Environment Using the Pedestrian Environmental Data Scan Instrument. Journal of Regional and City Planning (JRCP). ISSN 2502-6429. Volum 29. Hefte 1. s. 57-66. DOI: 10.5614/jrcp.2018.29.1.5.
- Sukor, Nur Sabahiah Abdul; Tarigan, Ari; Fujii, Satoshi (2017). Analysis of correlations between psychological factors and self-reported behavior of motorcyclists in Malaysia, depending on self-reported usage of different types of motorcycle facility. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour. ISSN 1369-8478. DOI: 10.1016/j.trf.2016.09.032.
- Sun, Yi-lin; Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Waygood, Owen; Wang, Dian-hai (2017). Diversity in diversification: an analysis of shopping trips in six-week travel diary data. Journal of Zhejiang University: Science A. ISSN 1673-565X. DOI: 10.1631/jzus.A1500198.
- Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Samsura, Ary; Sagala, Saut; Pencawan, Anthoni V.M. (2017). Medan City: Development and governance under the decentralisation era. Cities. ISSN 0264-2751. DOI: 10.1016/j.cities.2017.07.002.
- Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Samsura, D. Ary A.; Sagala, Saut; Wimbardana, Ramanditya (2017). Balikpapan: Urban planning and development in anticipating the post-oil industry era. Cities. ISSN 0264-2751. DOI: 10.1016/j.cities.2016.09.012.
- Joewono, Tri B.; Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Susilo, Yusak O. (2016). Road-based public transportation in urban areas of Indonesia: What policies do users expect to improve the service quality?. Transport Policy. ISSN 0967-070X. DOI: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2016.04.009.
- Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Sagala, Saut; Samsura, Ary; Fiisabiilillah, Dika F.; Simarmata, Hendricus; Nababan, Mangapul (2016). Bandung City, Indonesia. Cities. ISSN 0264-2751. DOI: 10.1016/j.cities.2015.09.005.
- Tarigan, Ari K.M.; Susilo, Yusak O.; Joewono, Tri B. (2014). Segmentation of paratransit users based on service quality and travel behaviour in Bandung, Indonesia. Transportation planning and technology (Print). ISSN 0308-1060. Volum 37. Hefte 2. s. 200-218. DOI: 10.1080/03081060.2013.870792.
- Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Bayer, Stian Brosvik (2012). Temporal change analysis of knowledge, attitudes and acceptances of hydrogen vehicles and refuelling stations in greater Stavanger, 2006-2009. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. ISSN 1364-0321. DOI: 10.1016/j.rser.2012.05.045.
- Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Bayer, Stian Brosvik; Langhelle, Oluf; Thesen, Gunnar (2012). Estimating determinants of public acceptance of hydrogen vehicles and refuelling stations in greater Stavanger. International journal of hydrogen energy. ISSN 0360-3199. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2011.12.138.
- Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Fujii, Satoshi; Kitamura, Ryuichi (2012). Intrapersonal variability in leisure activity-travel patterns: the case of one-worker and two-worker households. Transportation letters. ISSN 1942-7867. DOI: 10.3328/TL.2012.04.01.1-13.
- Tarigan, Ari Krisna Mawira; Kitamura, Ryuichi (2009). Week-to-week leisure trip frequency and its variability. Transportation Research Record. ISSN 0361-1981. DOI: 10.3141/2135-06.