- Telefon: 51834522
|Avdeling/enhet||Fakultet for utdanningsvitenskap og humaniora|
|Institutt/senter||Nasjonalt senter for læringsmiljø og atferdsforskning|
|Merknader||room number 349|
The Digitally Agile Researcher: http://www.digitallyagile.com/
Literacy Apps: http://literacyapps.literacytrust.org.uk/
Children's Digital Book Award: https://researchrichpedagogies.org/research/page/ou-ukla- digital-book award
Natalia?s research concerns innovative ways of supporting children?s book reading, digital literacy and exploring the role of personalisation in early years. She co-edits the Bloomsbury Book Series Children?s Reading and Writing on Screen and the journal Literacy published by Wiley. Natalia?s research takes place collaboratively across academia, commercial and third sectors.
Kucirkova, N., Rowsell, J., & Falloon, G. (eds) (2019) The Routledge International Handbook of Playing and Learning with Technology in Early Childhood, London/New York: Routledge.
Kucirkova, N. (2018) How and why to read and create digital books: A guide for primary practitioners. London: UCL Press. ISBN: 978-1-78735-349-7.
Kucirkova, N. & Quinlan, O. (eds) (2017) The Digitally Agile Researcher, London: McGraw Hill Press. ISBN: 978-0335261529.
Kucirkova, N. (2017) Digital Personalization in Early Childhood: Impact on Childhood, London: Bloomsbury. ISBN: 978-1474290807.
Kucirkova N., Snow, C., Grover, V. & McBride, C. (eds) (2017) International Handbook of Early Literacy, London/New York: Routledge. ISBN: 978-1138787889.
Kucirkova, N. & Falloon, G. (eds) (2016) Apps, technology and younger learners: International evidence for teaching, London/New York: Routledge. ISBN: 978-1138927872.
Kucirkova, N., Chamberlain, L., & Audain, J. (2016) Jumpstart Apps: Creative learning games and activities for ages 7-11. London: Routledge. ISBN: 978-1138940161.
Sung, H., Siraj-Blatchford, J. & Kucirkova, N. (2016) Your Guide to Outstanding Early Childhood Practice in ICT, London: Mark Allen Group. ISBN: 978-1909280779.
Kucirkova, N. (2014) iPads and tablets in the classroom: Personalizing children?s stories, UKLA Minibook 41. ISBN: 978-1897638903.
JOURNAL ARTICLES: (selected since 2014 only)
Kucirkova, N. (2019) How could children?s storybooks promote empathy? A conceptual framework based on developmental psychology and literary theory, Frontiers in psychology, DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00121
Kucirkova, N. (2019) Socio-material directions for developing empirical research on children?s e-reading: a systematic review and thematic synthesis of the literature across disciplines, Journal of Early Childhood Literacy, https://doi.org/10.1177/1468798418824364
Kucirkova, N., Wells Rowe, D., Oliver, L., Piestrzynski, L.E, (2019) Systematic Review of Young Children?s Writing on Screen: What do we know and what do we need to know, Literacy, https://doi.org/10.1111/lit.12173
Kucirkova, N. (2018) Children's agency and reading with story apps: considerations of design, behavioral and social dimensions, Qualitative Research in Psychology, DOI: 10.1080 / 14780887.2018.1545065
Kucirkova, N. (2018) A taxonomy and research framework for personalization in children's literacy apps, Educational Media International, 55 (3), 255-272.
Kucirkova, N. & Falloon, G. (2018) iPad Apps and Visual Methodologies: Empirical and ethical issues in achieving authentic data, Research in Learning Technology, 26, 1-16 http://dx.doi.org/10.25304/rlt .v26.2029
Gillen, J. & Kucirkova, N. (2018) Percolating spaces: creative ways of using digital technologies to connect young children's school and home lives, British Journal of Educational Technology. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjet.12666
Kucirkova, N. & Flewitt, R. (2018) The future-gazing potential of digital personalization in young children's reading: views from education professionals and app designers, Early Child Development and Care. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/03004430.2018.1458718
Kucirkova, N. (2017) An integrative framework for studying, designing and conceptualising interactivity in children's digital books. British Educational Research Journal, 43 (6), 1168-1185.
Kucirkova, N. & Cremin, T. (2017) Personalized reading for pleasure with digital libraries: Towards a pedagogy of practice and design, Cambridge Journal of Education, 48 (5), 571-589.
Cremin, T., Flewitt, R., Swann, J., Faulkner, D. and Kucirkova, N. (2017). Storytelling and story-acting: co-construction in action. Journal of Early Childhood Research, 16 (1), 3?17.
Kucirkova, N. & Littleton, K. (2017) Developing personalized education for personal mobile technologies with the pluralization agenda, Oxford Review of Education, 43 (3), 276-288.
Kucirkova, N., & Zuckerman, B. (2017). A guiding framework for considering touchscreens in children under two. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction, 12, 46-49.
FitzGerald, E., Kucirkova, N., Jones, A., Cross, S., Ferguson, R., Herodotou, C., Garron, H. & Scanlon, E. (2017). Dimensions of personalization in technology-enhanced learning: a framework and implications for design. British Journal of Educational Technology, 49 (1), 165-181.
Kucirkova, N., Littleton, K. & Kyparissiadis, A. (2017). The influence of children's gender and age on children's use of digital media at home, British Journal of Educational Technology, 46 (3), 545-559, DOI: 10.1111 / bjet.12543
Sakr, M. & Kucirkova, N. (2017) Parent-child moments of meeting in art-making with collage, iPad, Tuxpaint and crayons. International Journal of Education and the Arts, 18 (2), Available online from: http://www.ijea.org/v18n2/index.html.
Kucirkova, N., Dale, P. & Sylva, K. (2016) Parents reading with their 10-month-old babies: key predictors for high-quality reading styles, Early Child Development and Care, 188 (2), 195- 207.
Kucirkova, N. (2016) Personalization: a theoretical possibility to reinvigorate children's interest in storybook reading and facilitating greater book diversity, Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood, 17 (3), 1-16.
Kucirkova, N., Littleton, K. & Cremin, T. (2016) Young children's reading for pleasure with digital books: six key facets of engagement, Cambridge Journal of Education, 47 (1) 1-18.
Kucirkova, N. (2016) iRPD- a Framework for guiding design-based Research for iPad apps, British Journal of Educational Technology, 48 (2), 598?610.
Kucirkova, N. & Littleton, K. (2015) Digital learning hubs: Theoretical and practical ideas for innovating massive open online courses, Learning, Media & Technology, 42 (3), 324-330.
Flewitt, RS, Messer, D. and Kucirkova, N. (2015) New directions for early literacy in a digital age: the iPad. Journal of Early Childhood Literacy, 15 (3), 289-310.
Kucirkova, N. & Sakr, M. (2015) Child-Father creative text-making at home with Crayons, iPad, Collage & PC, Thinking Skills & Creativity, 17, 59-73.
Kucirkova, N., Sheehy, K. & Messer, D. (2015) A Vygotskian perspective on parent-child talk during iPad story-sharing, Journal of Research in Reading, 38 (4), 428-441.
Kucirkova, N., Messer, D., Critten, V. & Harwood, J. (2014) Story-making on the iPad when children have complex needs: two case studies, Communication Disorders Quarterly, 36 (1), 44-54 .
Kucirkova, N., Messer, D. & Sheehy, K. (2014) Reading personalized books with preschool children at their word acquisition, First Language, 34 (3), 227-243.
Kucirkova, N., Messer, D., Sheehy, K., & Fernandez-Panadero, C. (2014) Children's engagement with educational iPad apps: insights from a Spanish classroom, Computers & Education, 71, 175-184.
- PHILIORUM (2018-2023) supported by the Norwegian Research Council through FINNUT.https: //www.uis.no/forskning-and-ph-d/search centers / filiorum-center- kindergarten research /
- Dynamic, Real-time, On-demand Personalization for Scaling (2018-2020) funded by EPSRC, with the University College London
Previous roles include:
- Senior Research Fellow at University College London
- Senior Lecturer in Childhood Studies & Early Years, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Lecturer in Developmental Psychology, Open University
- Visiting at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, USA
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership Associate, Booktrust and Open University, UK
- Visiting Pre-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Education, Harvard University, USA
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Children’s Agency by Design: Design parameters for personalization in story-making apps. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction. ISSN 2212-8689. Volum 21. s. 112-120. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijcci.2019.06.003.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Children’s reading with digital books: past moving quickly to the future. Child Development Perspectives. ISSN 1750-8592. DOI: 10.1111/cdep.12339.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). How could children’s storybooks promote empathy? A conceptual framework based on developmental psychology and literary theory. Frontiers in Psychology. ISSN 1664-1078. Volum 10. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00121.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Personalized Education and Technology: How Can We Find an Optimal Balance?. I: Exploring key issues in early childhood and technology : evolving perspectives and innovative approaches. Routledge. ISBN 9781138313798.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Socio-material directions for developing empirical research on children’s e-reading: a systematic review and thematic synthesis of the literature across disciplines. Journal of Early Childhood Literacy. ISSN 1468-7984. DOI: 10.1177/1468798418824364.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). The Learning Value of Personalization in Children's Reading Recommendation Systems: What Can We Learn From Constructionism?. International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning. ISSN 1941-8647. Volum 11. Hefte 4. DOI: 10.4018/IJMBL.2019100106.
- Kucirkova, Natalia; Potter, John (2019). Digital Literacies in the UK: Creating, Navigating and Curating Content. I: Preparing globally minded literacy teacher : knowledge, practices and case studies. Routledge. ISBN 9780367027841.
- Kucirkova, Natalia; Rowe Wells, Deborah; Lucy, Oliver; Piestrzynski, Laura (2019). Systematic review of young children's writing on screen: what do we know and what do we need to know. Literacy. ISSN 1741-4350. DOI: 10.1111/lit.12173.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). The Routledge International Handbook of Learning with Technology in Early Childhood. Routledge. ISBN 9781138308169. 420 s.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Connecting research to practice: personalized education, invited keynote, Nordic Edge Expo EdTech Conference, Stavanger, Norway. 2019-09-26.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Co-organiser of interdisciplinary workshop 3rd KidRec Workshop: What does good look like?, ACM Interaction Design and Children (IDC) conference, Boise, Idaho, USA. 2019-06-12.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). E-books, apps and algorithms: the positives and limitations of children’s reading on screen. 2019-06-01.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Exploring Key Issues in Early Childhood and Technology (invited panelist, panel chaired by Chip Donohue). The National Association for the Education of Young Children; 2019-11-20 - 2019-11-23.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Families reading with young children in the digital age: Insights from research. Foreningen Les!; 2019-04-12.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). I was interviewed by a BBC journalist Gorana Jelovina for a planned programme about children's screentime.. International. [TV]; 2019-01-30.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Organiser and Chair of Symposium1 ‘Cross-disciplinary and international insights into children’s reading on screen’ and Symposium2 ‘Reconceptualizing Book Sharing with Young Children in a Digital Era’ and presenter of Individual paper ‘Promising Personalized Features of Digital Books’, Reconceptualising Early Childhood Literacies: An International Conference, Manchester, UK. DigiLitEY COST Action; 2019-03-07 - 2019-03-09.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Organiser and chair of symposium ‘Turning to Affect to Imagine Socially Just Pedagogies for Reading for Pleasure’, UKLA International Conference, Sheffield, UK. 2019-07-12 - 2019-07-14.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Personalised pluralisation in art. Conde Nast College; 2019-03-06.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Psychology Today (regular contribution of blogs) https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/experts/natalia-kucirkova-phd.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Reader, come home: the reading brain in a digital world.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Reading in the 21st Century: What Skills and Values do we need?. 2019-09-16.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Study links high levels of screen time to slower child development. The Guardian/International. [Avis]; 2019-01-28.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Symposium Chair for ‘Children’s reading on screen: the unique case of digital books’ and presenter of paper ‘Insights from research on children’s digital books in the UK’, Skriv! Les! Conference, Stavanger, Norway. 2019-05-07 - 2019-05-09.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Use of Digital Resources in Early Childhood Literacy Development. International Literacy Association; 2019-10-10 - 2019-10-13.
- Kucirkova, Natalia (2019). Young children's use of apps: myths, realities and evidence-based criteria. 2019-04-17.
- Kucirkova, Natalia; Collier, Diane (2019). Editorial for Literacy (Wiley).