- knowledge about the city region as a concept that integreates the city with the larger context of regional interactions
- an understandign of the city as a dynamic area where external and internal forces influence and change dwelling, working and traveling patterns
- an understanding of the role that land use and transport planning has in terms of achieving urban sustainable development, reduce environmental issues and increase societal safety
- knowledge about the defintion of dwelling, working, communitng or identity regions
After the coruse the students should be able to
- develop scenarios and proposals for different future prospects of the city and the region
- develop masterplans based in statistical data and prognosis
- develop design programs for central areas in the regional and urban system
- use GIS tools and make SWOT-analyses
Students should have general knowledge about
- oral, written and graphic presentations about topics that relate to the city region, regional planning or long term land use and transport plans
- discussions and arguments relating to urban sustainaiblity and relating measures and their relevance and effectiveness
- independent investigations into the future of urban and regional development
Required prerequisite knowledge
Recommended previous knowledge
If a student fails the projectwork or exam, she/he have to take the whole course again the following year.
Contributions to the group work must be documented.
- Course coordinator
- Kirsten Welschemeyer
- Course teacher
- Paal Grini, Einar Holven , Thor Johan Aksland
- Head of Department
- Tore Markeset
Method of work
Admission to Single Courses at the Faculty of Science and Technology
City and Regional Planning - Master's Degree Programme
Mechanical and Structural Engineering and Materials Science- Master's Degree Programme - 5 years
Greed, C. (2000). Introducing planning. London: Athlone Press.
Grinderud, K. (2008). GIS: geografiens språk i vår tidsalder. Trondheim: Tapir akademisk forlag.
Ravetz, J. (2000). City Region 2020 - Integrated Planning for a Sustainable Environment. London: Earthscan Publications Ltd.
Pensum and other literature will be given in the beginning of term.
Sist oppdatert: 25.10.2019