- Knowledge about how to make holistic planning decisions in the interests of human security, resilience and business continuity, with specific focus on counter terrorism.
- Understanding and ability to interpret spatial qualities, local identities, while attention is also needed to accessibility, inclusiveness, health and safety.
- Understanding of how human and natural threats affect changes in planning decisions, building conventions, standardization, transport, social security, climate, business, and more.
- Knowledge about the possibilities and limitations of emerging dual-use security technologies.
After the course the students should be able to
- Use a range of scientific methods for effective and proportional plans, specifically for counter-terrorism and crime prevention.
- Develop proposals that take holistic approaches, addressing not only terrorism, but other human and natural threats.
- Think about security, security and readiness in other topics in a critical, reflective way.
- Visualize and implement ideas that consider flexible and dual-purpose solutions for inner city issues
After the course, the student must have general knowledge about
- Approaching, analyzing, and proposing solutions and responses to terrorist threats in urban areas.
- The complexities in balancing user needs with security needs.
- In-depth assessments of a sites via desk-based research and site observation.
- Independent execution of theoretical and creative project work.
- Presenting and communicating complex information orally.
- Presentation of urban projects in a convincing and professional way through sketches / drawing / illustrations, text, physical / virtual modeling.
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Individual project-based assessment||1/1||A - F|
- Course coordinator
- Daniela Müller-Eie
- Course teacher
- Tegg Westbrook , Harald Nils Røstvik
- Head of Department
- Tore Markeset
Method of work
Independent and group work with tutoring.
Field work (in Stavanger center and UiS campus).
Palgrave Macmillan, CPNI (2014) Integrated Security: A Public Realm Design Guide for Hostile Vehicle Mitigation, 2nd edition. Available online, https://www.cpni.gov.uk/system/files/documents/40/20/Integrated%20Security%20Guide.pdf,
SecuraPost (2013) Archtectural & Security Bollards Handbook, Available online, www.ledasecurity.com.au/lda/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Leda-Architectural-And-Security-Bollards.pdf,
Sist oppdatert: 10.12.2019