The assignment will normally be carried out during the last semester of studies. At this stage the knowledge and know-how needed for accomplishing a relevant assignment in the field of studies is prerequisite.
A candidate who has completed and passed the bachelor assignment should have:
- Knowledge about and ability to apply relevant theoretical models and/or studies supported by scientific research
- Knowledge about and reasoning behind relevant scholarly tools and techniques
- Experience in literature search, scientific reporting and ethical standards in the field
- Ability to critivally evaluate own work
A candidate who has completed and passed the bachelor assignment should be able to:
- work independently
- describe the problem as presented clearly, according to the terms and expressions within the academic field
- is able to give an account of the academic problem and link the conclusion to the problem
A candidate who has completed and passed the bachelor assignment should have general knoweldge about:
- Defending high moral standards in scientific, as well as other, context, thus being a good role model
- Exchanging opinions and experiences with others and be able to participate in a scientific debate in a constructive and useful way
- Determinig when a scientific disagreement is of a paradigmatic nature, and be able to deal with the debate accordingly
In general the report should have a clearly defined problem and answer, be well structured, easy to browse through and easy to read. Arguments for and against a given, and should be presented in a logical way.
Required prerequisite knowledge
|One approved assignment||1/1||A - F|
A candidate will generally have one attempt at a performing examination or Bachelor's or Master's thesis.
a) Upon application, a second attempt may be granted if a candidate wishes to improve their grade. In such cases, the candidate may not be permitted to revise a previously submitted response, but must write a new response on a new basis
b) Upon application, a candidate who has not passed the bachelor's or master's thesis may be granted a second attempt. In such cases, a reworked version of the bachelor's or master's thesis may be submitted, or a completely new thesis may be submitted. This must then be submitted by the specified deadline and will count as a new exam attempt.
c) The Dean himself shall issue supplementary regulations for the completion and supervision of Bachelor's and Master's theses.
A bachelor´s or a master´s thesis not submitted in time will be graded Fail.
Read more: http://student.uis.no/getfile.php/Intranett%20Studentsider%20og%20ansattsider/Reglar1.pdf
Philosophy of science and Ethics
The essay must be submitted by March 15 (the essay must be approximately 5000 words). Topic for essay (Philosophy of science or Ethics) will be selected randomly after the last lecture. The essay is submitted electronically using Canvas.
Grade: Pass/No pass
For students who get a no pass, an improved essay can be resubmitted within two weeks after the grades were made public. A pass is required for a student to be allowed to submit the bachelor thesis.
For students who are writing their bachelor thesis during fall, the course must be taken the previous semester. It is not possible to take the course one year early for student that is writing the bachelor thesis during the spring semester.
NOTE! Deadline for withdrawal during the spring semester is April 1st
If the essay has been passed, but the candidate wants to resubmit the bachelor thesis (because it failed or to obtain a improved grade), the pass will stand.
- Course teacher
- Ari Krisna Mawira Tarigan , Fabio Alberto Hernandez Palacio , Harald Nils Røstvik , Lene Bjørnø , Daniela Müller-Eie , Kirsten Welschemeyer , Rolv Arnstein Øvrelid , John Charles Grønli
- Course coordinator
- Daniela Müller-Eie
- Head of Department
- Tore Markeset
Method of work
Philosophy of science and Ethics: The lectures will be 4 hour per week in week 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. It is planned to stream the lectures. The essay must be submitted by March 15 (the essay must be between 7 and 10 pages). Topic for essay (Philosophy of science or Ethics) will be selected randomly after the last lecture. The essay is submitted electronically using Canvas.
|Theory of Science and Ethics (BIB460_1)||5|
City and Regional Planning - Master's Degree Programme
Sist oppdatert: 14.07.2020