- Construction of maps and understanding their significance
- Interdependence of (geo)science and spatial studies
- Be able to apply spatial knowledge and get relevant results by using specialized software or equipment
- Be able to perform basic spatial analysis functions using specialized software
- Be able to create and interpret maps
- Background in geographic information science that can be used as a basis for other areas of study
- Have an understanding of geographic information science, including database theory and cartographic theory
- Be able to communicate and explain geographic information in applications to geology or other fields of study
- Reading, understanding, and interpreting maps
- Mapping techniques with the use of geographic information systems (GIS)
- Field mapping with use of GPS
- Reading and understanding scientific literature
- Writing scientific summary of work
- Present work in scientific manner
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Portfolio||1/1||A - F|
- Test - 20%: One theoretical test
- Cartography report - 35%
- Mapping project in groups - 45%
The final grade for the course set by the teacher. There is no exam in this course.
All parts of the folder must be passed. Students who fail in the course or want to improve their grade have to take the course again.
All GIS-based assignments must be turned in digitally.
Course communications will be via email and Canvas. It's up to the student to make sure e-mail is set up correctly with the University.
Method of work
The course is taught in English; software is in English; optional text books in English. If Bokmål is required for course documents, please alert instructor so a suitable replacement can be found.
|Geology seminar I (BPG110_1)||5|
Petroleum Geology - Bachelor's Degree Programme
Petroleum Technology - Bachelor's Degree Programme
Admission to Single Courses at the Faculty of Science and Technology
City and Regional Planning - Master's degree programme
Industrial economics - Master's Degree Programme
Petroleum Geosciences Engineering - Master of Science Degree Programme
Petroleum Engineering - Master of Science Degree Programme
Petroleum Engineering - Master`s Degree programme in Petroleum Engineering, 5 years
Societal safety - Master's degree programme
Technical Societal Safety - Master's Degree Programme
- PDFs available via Canvas
Additional references: (These books are not required)
- Kraak, M. and Ormelling, F., 2003, Cartography: Visualization of Geospatial Data, Longman Group: United Kingdom, 205 p.
- Heywood, I., Cornelius, S., and Carver, S., 2006, An Introduction to Geographical Information Systems, Third Edition, Prentice Hall: United Kingdom, 464 p.
Sist oppdatert: 27.06.2019