By the end of the course, students are expected to have acquired knowledge about:
- America's diverse literary tradition.
- The relationship between the American literary tradition and its social, cultural and historical contexts.
- Literary mediations of important historical events and sociocultural debates.
- Perspectives and debates on what defines, or characterizes, "Americanness".
- The different cultural traditions and philosophies that inform American literature.
By the end of the course, students are expected to be able to:
- Analyze and understand literature about America from diverse perspectives and multiple historical periods and literary genres.
- Interpret texts by conducting close readings and deploying relevant techniques and terms from literary studies.
- Explain the sociocultural significance of the selected texts and authors.
- Identify relevant trends and movements that distinguish different literary periods within American literature.
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Use correct, varied, and precise English in order to participate in intellectual conversations about issues in literary and cultural studies.
- Analyze what others have written or said, then summarize their arguments and assumptions.
Required prerequisite knowledge
Recommended previous knowledge
|1914 to present||1/2||5 hours||A - F||Exam aids available at the teachers' discretion|
|Beginnings to 1914||1/2||5 hours||A - F||Exam aids available at the teachers' discretion|
Duration: 5 hours per exam. Students must pass both exams to earn a final grade in this course. English language and academic writing skills are taken into account in the grading, as well as the course content.
- Course coordinator
- Allen Clarence Jones
- Course teacher
- Peter Paul Ferry
- Programme coordinator
- Karen Marie Espeland , Anne Marie Nygaard
Method of work
Students are expected to do all the required reading before attending the lectures.
|American Literature and Culture (ENG175_1)||15|
|American Literature and Culture (ENG165_1)||10|
|American Literature and Culture (MENG165_1)||10|
|English Literature after 1950 (ENG130_1)||5|
|Other Voices - Global English Literature (ENG130_2)||5|
|English Literature after 1950 (ÅEN130_1)||5|
Sist oppdatert: 06.07.2020