If suitable to their study profile and course portfolio, program students in either Bachelor or Master of Science in Business Administration may do an internship in a company or public organization. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience the practical challenges in a real work environment, while at same time reflecting on how practice and theory combine.
Businesses that offer Internship will be presented to the students. Students can also find a suitable internship organization. Internship is limited to 15 bachelor and 15 master students. The final selection depends on an assessment of student qualifications and match between students and internship organizations.
On completion of the course, you will have acquired knowledge to be able to:
- Reflect on differences between practice and theory in business administration.
On completion of the course, you will have acquired skills to be able to:
- Identify a business administration topic to be studied in the internship organization.
- Apply a theoretical framework suitable to analyse this topic and derive at possible improvements.
- Write a report which combines theory and practice, and provides new, useful knowledge for a public or private organization.
For a 10 credits internship, the minimum time spent with an organization is 150 working hours.
The aim of the internship course is to facilitate increased in-depth learning within selected fields of business administration. By applying theoretical knowledge to practical experiences, this internship course provides a unique opportunity to reflect on the variations between theory and practice and the value of combining them to gain valuable knowledge and skills for a career in business administration.
Students must be enrolled in the internship course before they can start an internship.
Students must fulfil these requirements for the internship:
1. The internship and workplace have to be approved by the course teacher.
2. A contact person (mentor) in the internship organization has to be approved
3. Participate in pre-internship seminar.
4. All mandatory tasks have to be approved.
The credits from this course can be used as elective credits.
Internship cannot substitute neither be included in a thesis. However, it is an excellent opportunity to explore an area for a thesis in the following semester.
Required prerequisite knowledge
Completed first two years of Bachelor in Business Administration, or completed first year of Master of Science in Business Administration.
|Report||1/1||Pass - Fail|
The report should be maximum 3000 words long (excluding references and appendixes) and contain the following:
1) Introduction on the topic and questions the student worked on for the host organization during the internship.
2) A summary of relevant literature and other types of information that was the basis for your analyses and findings.
3) Presentation of work tasks and analyses undertaken for the host organization.
4) Presentation of findings, conclusions and recommendations for the host organization.
5) List of references
6) Appendix 1: Description of the internship organization
7) Appendix 2: Description of the work conducted in the organization
8) Optional Appendix 3: Relevant documentation on data, analyses, results.
The final internship report is graded Fail (U) or Pass (G). There will be a differentiation in the expectations for Bachelor and Master students with respect to the quality of the report.
Prior to the internship students participate in a obligatory seminar. Teaching is conducted in English.
To fulfil the academic requirements of the internship, each student should submit the following reports:
Field note reflections: During the time of the internship, each student must take field notes about specific things they observe or experience related to the chosen topic. Drawing on these field notes students should reflect on their internship, including (1) own attitudes, skills and deliverables, (2) and resources of and interaction with the host organization. Students should submit such reflections to their internship teacher during the internship, in a field note of maximum 1000 words.
Method of work
Sist oppdatert: 06.06.2020