Students are expected to gain knowledge on how to start a business - generate and evaluate ideas, assess industry systems and potential markets, identify value proposition as well as potential risks and create a valid business model for the new business. Through the course you will get an opportunity to connect with student incubator and participate in business completions. Some of our former students won up to 1 mill nok, and are running successful companies, such as Tidewave or Boost.ai. During the course, students will get opportunity to interact with real entrepreneurs in knowledge-based firms. You can work on your own idea, or join a start-up company to help them to develop a valid business model.
Students enrolled to this course have the opportunity to work closely with InGenious cases, alternatively to cases found in their own network. InGenious is a collaborative project of the Stavanger University with local companies, that is designed in collaboration with the European Consortium of Innovative Universities (ECIU). Thus, students will get opportunity to work in close collaboration with companies in the region of Stavanger.
Upon completion of the course, students will:
- have a theoretical and practical understanding of establishing a new business
- know how to develop a proper business model
- know how to make a successful pitching
- understand the importance of economical, environmental and social business values
- Understand the importance of thinking glocally and having international perspective on business devlopment
After this course you will be able to
- understand main elements of the commercialization process
- investigate the market potential for new ideas
- identify core resources needed for idea implementation
- exploit external networks and partnerships
- perform financial and liquidity analysis
- summarize obtained knowledge in a business plan/business model
- Who are entrepreneurs and what is entrepreneurship
- Idea generation and evaluation
- Pitch technology
- Value proposition
- Building a business model
- Market positioning
- Strategic alliances and negotiations
- Social and responsible entrepreneurship
- Blue ocean strategy
- Regional infrastructure for entrepreneurship and sources of funding
- Risk assessment and financial calculations
- Exit strategies
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Written business plan according to specified requirements||1/2||2 months||A - F|
|Oral exam||1/2||A - F|
Minimum of two oral presentations during the course (business idea pitch, business canvas pitch).
Submission of preliminary draft description of the business concept.
- Course teacher
- Elisa Thomas , John Robert Bessant , Ola Barkved
- Course coordinator
- Tatiana Aleksandrovna Iakovleva
Method of work
The sessions will be organized as a combination of lectures, group discussions and obligatory presentations. During the course we will use guest speakers who are specialists within their fields.
Expected workload: 250-300 hours Lectures: 50 hours Self-study: 100 hours Business plan: 100 hours
Link to reading list
Sist oppdatert: 15.08.2020