- a general introduction to the field of offshore wind energy
- an introduction to modelling of static and dynamic wind loads on various types of structures. In particular, wind forces on slender structures and the associated wind-structure interaction will be discussed.
- knowledge of design characteristics, operational performance, and maintenance of wind turbines. Focus is put on big turbines with offshore potential.
- Introduction to wind turbines Wind turbine fundamentals, Aerodynamics of Horizontal-axis Wind Turbines, Wind-turbine Performance, The Performance Curves, Estimation of Energy Capture, Wind Turbine Power Control, Turbine classification,
- Technical solutions Tower, Foundations, Rotor, Blades, The nacelle, Drive train, Drive train configuration, The main drive train, Gearbox, Coupling, Mechanical brake, Control, control mechanisms, Generator, Transformers, Inspection and maintenance, Vibration challenges, resonance (Eigen frequencies),Repairs, material handling
- Offshore wind farms Access, Design philosophy, Selection of wind turbine / Due diligence, Integration Farm management and Grid Codes, Beatrice
- Offshore wind climate and atmospheric marine boundary layer. Wind profile. Extreme wind speed. Velocity pressure. Turbulence characteristics. Peak velocity pressure.
- Wind forces on slender structures. Static loads. Force coefficients. Dynamic loads due to turbulence, vortex shedding and wake effects.
- Wind forces and wind effects on wind turbines.
- Measures for wind-induced vibration mitigation.
- Monitoring of wind speed and structural response.
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Written exam||1/1||3 hours||A - F||Basic calculator.|
All mandatory work demands must be approved by subject teacher.
- Course coordinator
- Charlotte Obhrai
- Course teacher
- Jasna Bogunovic Jakobsen
- Head of Department
- Tor Henning Hemmingsen
Method of work
All information about the course (including information about time for lectures) will be posted on CANVAS at the beginning of the semester. The course is given in English. Guest lecturers from industry might be invited on wave statistics and on risk in marine operations.
Master level on at the Faculty of Science and Technology for qualified students
PhD level at the Faculty of Science and Technology according to agreement with lecturer
Selected papers on Offshore wind technology
Reference to textbooks, such as:
Wind Power Plants "Fundamentals, Design, Construction and Operation" R. Gasch, and J. Twele
Offshore Wind Power edited by John Twidell and Gaetano Gaudiosi
Sist oppdatert: 20.10.2019