This course teaches the skills required for understanding how the structure of complex systems creates their behaviour. Learning in a world of growing dynamic complexity requires us to become systems thinkers in order to expand the boundaries of our engineering and management models. Therefore, systems dynamics modelling is important for the analysis of policy and strategy, with a focus on business and engineering applications. The course is based on system development and dynamic modelling methodology. The course teaches the most commonly used simulation techniques: system dynamics simulation (continuous systems), discrete-event simulation, and agent-based modelling with help of the most well-known simulation packages e.g. AnyLogic, Vensim, Arena.
- Understand the complexity of the modern systems behaviors and multi-disciplinary systems e.g. energy systems.
- Gain an understanding of system thinking and its toolbox.
- Gain the required knowledge of modelling deterministic and stochastic processes, entities, events, conditions, and queues of several production and service systems.
- Gain the required knowledge of simulation analysis: discrete events, continuous dynamics, data collection, alternatives evaluation and comparison.
- Gain good understanding of operating production, service and energy systems.
- Able to develop the business process model for any production and service system.
- Able to collect the required data sets and select the effective distribution models to simulate the dynamic behavior of the studied system.
- Able to simulate the system performance based on key metrics such as costs, throughput, cycle times, equipment utilization, energy losses and resource availability.
- Able to evaluate potential alternatives to determine the best approach to enhancing performance.
- Determine the impact of uncertainty and variability on system performance.
- Run "what-if" scenarios to evaluate proposed process changes.
- Visualize results with 2D and 3D animation.
- Acquire system-thinking, problem-solving, multi criteria - decision-making approach.
|Project report and presentation||1/1||A - F|
Vilkår for å gå opp til eksamen/vurdering
However, there are some long-life books that recommended:
1. The Big Book of Simulation Modeling. Multimethod Modeling with AnyLogic, Author: Andrei Borshchev
2. Business Dynamics: Systems Thinking and Modeling for a Complex World by John Sterman (Author)
3. Simulation with Arena, by W. David Kelton (Author)
Sist oppdatert: 10.12.2019