- Has a broad overview of the most important environmental loads that influence on the structure the student is analyzing in his/her PhD work
- Has an extended introduction to calculation of environmental loads on structures
- Has an extended introduction to calculation of the response of structures exposed to environmental loads
- Has an extended introduction to the difference between deterministic and stochastic methods for calculation of loads
- Has prepared a relevant project report that can be used as a basic document for further work on the PhD thesis.
Some or all of the following themes will be discussed:
Stochastic description of environmental loads;
Wind climate. Mean wind loads and loads due to turbulence. Quasi-static and resonant response to fluctuating wind loads. Wind-structure interaction.
Models to explain regular and stochastic waves as well as wave loads on slender structures including flow induced vibrations;
Wave loads on large volume bodies, diffraction effects and fluid-structure interaction;,
Seismic data and earthquake loads;
Ice data and ice loads from the Barents Sea.
Response analysis and stochastic presentation of response to environmental loads
The content will be adjusted considerably in accordance with the candidate's main interests and direction of specialization.
Required prerequisite knowledge
Recommended previous knowledge
|Written assignment and 2 oral exams||1/1||Pass - Fail|
- Course teacher
- Muk Chen Ong , Daniel Nalliah Karunakaran , Sverre Kristian Haver , Charlotte Obhrai , Jasna Bogunovic Jakobsen , Ove Tobias Gudmestad
- Course coordinator
- Muk Chen Ong , Jasna Bogunovic Jakobsen
- Head of Department
- Tor Henning Hemmingsen
Method of work
Available for PhD students at the Faculty of Science and Technology.
Open for private candidates: On application only
- Sarpkaya, T and Isaacson, M.: "Mechanics of Wave Forces on Offshore Structures", Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1981,
- Chakrabarti, S.K.: "Hydrodynamics of Offshore Structures", Computational Mechanics Publications, 1994,
- Dyrbye, Cl. and Hansen, S.O.: "Wind Loads on Structures", John Wiley & Sons, 1997,
- Simiu, E. and Miyata, T. "Design of Buildings and Bridges for Wind: A Practical Guide for ASCE-7 Standard Users and Designers of Special Structures", John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- Journal papers and specifications of the physical environment from larger North Sea Projects
- Norwegian Standard N-003: "Actions and action-effects.
- Relevant Norwegian and ISO standards
Sist oppdatert: 23.09.2019