A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent qualification in a related field is required (E.g Social Work, Sociology, Social Sciences, Psychology, Law, History, Cultural Studies). Applicants whose native language is not English or whose undergraduate instruction was not in English must demonstrate proficiency in English by the application deadline. Some exemptions may apply.
Preference will be given to:
- Applicants who can document knowledge of Family Social Work and empirical methods (modules completed at the undergraduate level, papers, essays and examiniation results are considered valid documentation).
- Qualified applicants who, in addition, have relevant professional experience.
The minimum GPA (grade point average) for admission to this Master's programme is 80% or 4 on the ECTS grading scale. However, admission to this programme is highly competetive and applicants must demonstrate good academic standards and top grades.
Approved international tests/exams:
- Minimum score of 90 (Internet-based) or 575 (paper-based).
- Upload the TOEFL score report. Provide your ETS "username" and "password" in order to verify your scores. Name the PDF file as ENG.
- ETS TOEFL score reports are valid for two years from the test date and must be valid on the date of applying electronically to the University of Stavanger.
- NB! The University of Stavanger does NOT accept local institutional TOEFL ITP tests
- Minimum overall band score of 6.5
- Upload the IELTS Test Report Form. The University of Stavanger verifies these online. Name the PDF file as ENG.
- IELTS Test Report Forms are valid for two years from the test date and must be valid on the date of applying electronically to the University of Stavanger.
- Minimum overall score of 62.
- Upload the PTE Test Report. The University of Stavanger can verify the test report online.
- PTE score reports are valid for two years from the test date and must be valid on the date of applying electronically to the University of Stavanger.
- Upload the Certificate in Advanced English (C1) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (C2). Name the PDF file as ENG.
- The University of Cambridge English exam/ Cambridge English Qualifications are valid for 5 years from the test date and must be valid on the date of applying electronically to the University of Stavanger.
- Applicants whose native language is not English but their undergraduate programme was given entirely in English.
- Applicants who have completed at least one year studies at high school or university in Australia, Canada, Ireland, the UK, the US or New Zealand. The place of instruction must have been in one of these countries and the language of instruction must have been English.
The following tests DO NOT meet the English language requirements:
- The University of Cambridge English exam: First Certificate in English
- The European Language Certificate (telc): English B2, B2-C1 University, English certificates on C1-level
The following exemption DO NOT apply:
- Passed English in Norwegian upper secondary school (140 hours per year/ 5 hours per week) **This exemption applies only to applicants who have completed their upper secondary education from Norway.