Concrete Constructions (BYG220)
This course provides students with an understanding of the structural design process, the mechanics of reinforced concrete, and the ability to design structural concrete members including slabs (one-way), beams and columns.It also covers the behavior of reinforced concrete members subjected to moment, shear, torsion and axial forces.
Course description for study year 2023-2024. Please note that changes may occur.
Semester tution start
Number of semesters
Language of instruction
- Calculation of Loads/actions on ordinary buildings.
- Design principles: limit state design (1) Ultimate limit state, (2) serviceability limit state
- Analysis of reinforced concrete cross-section at ultimate limit state: bending, bending plus axial load
- Analysis and design for shear and torsion
- Serviceability, durability and stability requirements
- Design of reinforced concrete beams, slabs and columns
- Calculation of deflections and crack width
- Use of appropriate rules and regulations.
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Form of assessment||Weight||Duration||Marks||Aid|
|Written exam||1/1||4 Hours||Letter grades||To be announced (TBA) 1)|
1) More information in the text below.
Supporting materials allowed upon exam:Norsk Standard: NS-EN 1992-1-1:2004+NA: 2008,Norsk Standard: NS-EN1990: 2002+NA: 2008,Norsk Standard: NS-EN 1991-1-1: 2002+NA: 2008,Formula book "Stålkonstrukjoner",Formula sheet (Transformed sections),m-n diagrams,Authorized calculator,Necessary equations in A4 sheets (hand-written or computer printouts)Dictionary
Compulsory assignments: 8 assignments.
6 out of the total of 8 compulsory assignments must be approved in order to take the exam.
Laboratory work: testing of reinforced concrete beam (Attendance is mandatory )
Course coordinator:Samarakoon Mudiyansele Samindi Samarakoon
Course teacher:Samarakoon Mudiyansele Samindi Samarakoon
Head of Department:Mona Wetrhus Minde
Coordinator laboratory exercises:Jarle Berge
Method of work
|Reinforced Concrete Structures 1 (BIB500_1)||5|
|Reinforced Concrete Strucktures 2 (BIB530_1)||5|