History of Jazz Performers and Styles (MUM705)
The course is an elective course that generally deals with topics related to stylistic features from different eras (m. emphasis on selected eras), improvisational history, philosophy and history criticism and relevant compositional techniques mainly from the 20th century.
Course description for study year 2023-2024. Please note that changes may occur.
Semester tution start
Number of semesters
Language of instruction
The course includes both theoretical and practical work.
After completing and passing the programme, the student should have acquired:
- Understanding of stylistic features from selected eras
- a broad improvisational historical knowledge
- be able to demonstrate a high degree of style understanding theoretically and practically
After completing and passing the programme, the candidate should have acquired:
- be able to draw lines from historical entry practice with contemporary musical expressions
- be able to articulate the context of one's own expression and historical record practice
- a high degree of style understanding
- master relevant stylistic practice
Required prerequisite knowledge
Written assignment (one week) that is submitted in Inspera (approx. 2000 words). A reflection text on your own master's project in the light of style and performer's history. An audio recording/concert is also made of the music being worked on.
Teaching in the course is mandatory. In order to take the exam, the student must have at least 80% attendance.
It is in general not differentiated between causes of its absence.
Course coordinator:Tor Yttredal
Programme coordinator:Lena Crosby Haug
Method of work
In groups as well as some individual instruction. Groups are taught in both the theoretical, as well as the performing/practical part. The teaching can be arranged as an intensive course or taken over several weeks. Much of the course study in general relies on the student's own efforts and individual studies.
Students are responsible for keeping up to date with information provided on Canvas.