The first Energy Norway conference was arranged 25-26 April 2022. Theme: Subsurface utilization for energy transition.
The conference was a meeting place for subsurface professionals in Norway and international communities, policy makers, regulatory bodies, and students. It marked the transition between the two research centres The National IOR Centre of Norway (2013-2021) and NCS2030 (2022-).
Terje Lien Aasland, Minister of Petroleum and Energy, sent his greetings in a recorded speak, wishing the University of Stavanger with partners NORCE, IFE and University of Bergen all the best for the new research centre NCS2030.
"The foundation for the petroleum adventure was laid here. And the area will also play a key role in writing the next chapters of this adventure. If Stavanger succeeds in the green transition, then Norway succeeds," the minister said in his speech.
In the opening session former leader of the IOR Centre, now prorector for research Merete Vadla Madland gave a symbolic baton to Ying Guo who has led the IOR Centre the last two and a half years. Guo passed the baton on to Alejandro Escalona who will lead the new research centre, NCS2030.
The conference was streamed and you can see recordings from both conference days below.
Speakers and sessions (point of time for each presentation in parenthesis).
- Prorector Merete Vadla Madland, University of Stavanger (18:45)
- Ying Guo, IOR centre director (21:45)
- Alejandro Escalona, NCS2030 director (25:40)
- Greetings from Terje Lien Aasland, Minister of Petroleum and Energy (32:30)
- Kjersti Dahle Grov, assistant director of technology and coexistence, NPD: Future opportunites on the NCS (40:55)
- Gunnar Lille, managing director OG21: A new chapter: The new OG21 technology strategy for the Norwegian petroleum sector (54:45)
- Torfinn Harding, professor UiS Business School: NCS and the business climate (1:13:00)
- Questions (1:25:40)
- Poster announcement (1:41:50)
- Malin Torsæter, centre director, LowEmission Centre: How the Low Emission Centre contributes to reducing emissions on the Norwegian Continental Shelf (2:51:25)
- Arne Stavland, chief scientist, NORCE: Conformance Control to low Carbon Footprint (3:08:15)
- Hamid Nick, senior researcher DTU: Modified salinity water flooding and CO2 storage in chalk reservoirs (3:24:05)
- Rolf Johan Lorentzen, senior researcher, NORCE: Drainage optimalization (3:41:20)
- Questions (3:57:00)
- Fridtjof Riis, senior geologist NPD: A new phase of geological storage of CO2 in the Norwegian shelf (4:39:35)
- Sarah Gasda, research director, NORCE: Site selection and assessment of CO2 and hydrogen storage resources (4:56:50)
- Zachary Alcorn, researcher UiB: CO2 Foam Mobility Control in CO2 EOR and CO2 Storage (5:14:20)
- Stephane Polteau, research scientist IFE: Reservoir and Basin-Scale Fluid Migration (5:31:10)
- Dora Marín, associate professor UiS: Impact of salt heterogeneity on hydrogen geological storage (5:46:35)
- Questions (6:02:50)
- Erlend H. Vefring, vice president, NORCE Energy: SFI DigiWells: Digital Well Centre for Value Creation, Competitiveness and Minimum Environmental Footprint (09:50)
- Yuqing Chang, researcher, NORCE: An Ensemble-Based Decision Workflow for Reservoir Management (25:25)
- Felix Feldmann, postdoc UiS/IFE: IORSim – Numerical simulation of a complex water diversion field case (44:50)
- Questions (59:30)
- Pom S. Sabharwal, sales manager Halliburton: Automated ML data ingestion and analytics using Data Science Platform (DS365.ai) on Diskos and OSDU (1:39:10)
- Aojie Hong, UiS: Create Value from Future Information in Sequential Decision Making (1:57:25)
- Chunming Rong, UiS: Cognitive Analytics by Federated AI: Edge2Cloud Image Processing from Cancer to Energy (2:12:45)
- Mario Silva, IFE: Tracers: a tool to unveil the hidden features of the reservoir (2:27:45)
- Questions (2:45:50)
- Poster announcement (2:55:40)
- Reinier van Noort, IFE: Overview of geological challenges related to underground H2 storage (4:09:25)
- Leon Prebeau-Menezes, Equinor: Equinor’s Hydrogen position & ambitions in the UK (4:25:20)
- Katriona Edlmann, Edinburgh University: Geological storage of Hydrogen for Net Zero: An update from the HyStorPor project (4:41:20)
- Martin Blunt, Imperial College: Pore-scale analysis of subsurface hydrogen storage and the impact of hysteresis (5:00:00)
- Questions (5:14:05)
- Conversation between Alejandro Escalona (director NCS2030), Ying Guo (vice director NCS2030) and Martin Smedstad Foss (research director, IFE) (5:59:20)
- Arne Graue, UiB: Energy Transition Perspectives: Disruptive CCUS Technologies and CO2 Storage Enable Petroleum as Energy Security (6:17:05)
- Conversation continues (6:27:40)
- Skjæveland Award (6:46:10)
- Summing up with professor Ann Muggeridge, Imperial College (6:52:30)