As a general requirement, applicants to International Master's Programmes must document proficiency in English on an advanced level through an international test/exam, recognized by the University of Stavanger.
Accepted English proficiency tests
English tests must be no more than two years old at the time of application. The exception is the Cambridge English Qualification, for which there is no expiry date.
- Minimum score of 90 (Internet-based) or 575 (paper-based) with writing section minimum score of 22 (Internet-based).
- Applicants must provide "username" and "password" when uploading the scores so that UiS can verify the scores online (only if you have not selected UiS as one of the score report destinations).
- NB! The University of Stavanger does NOT accept MyBest Scores.
- NB! The University of Stavanger does NOT accept TOEFL ITP tests.
- NB! The University of Stavanger does NOT accept the revised TOEFL® Paper-delivered Test.
- TOEFL iBT ® Special Home Edition is accepted for the intake of August 2021.
- More information about ETS TOEFL
- Minimum overall band score of 6.5 with writing section minimum score of 6.0
- NB! IELTS General or IELTS Indicator is NOT accepted.
- More information about IELTS Academic
- Minimum overall score of 62 with writing section minimum score of 53.
- More information about PTE Academic
Exemptions from the test
Certain applicants are exempted from English test based on the upper secondary school/university education in their home country. Check the Country List for more information.
- Applicants who have completed at least one-year studies at high school or university in Australia, Canada, Ireland, UK, USA or New Zealand. The place of instruction must have been in one of these countries and the language of instruction must have been English.
- Applicants who have completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree with English as the language of instruction in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, or Sweden.
- Applicants who have completed and passed English course (140 hours per year / 5 hours per week) at the Norwegian upper secondary school, with a minimum grade of 4.
- Applicants who have English as "language 1" or "language 2" on European Baccalaureate Diploma (EB).
- Applicants who have completed International Baccalaureate Diploma/Certificate (IB)
Late submission of English test results
The new English language requirements presented above are now approved for the academic year 2021/2022.