Here you will find information about the conference Gender Studies Now 2023, hotels and transportation in Stavanger.
Conference venue: Ullandhaug campus, University of Stavanger, 1-2 June 2023.
Registration desk will be in the main hall of Arne Rettedal’s building. MazeMap is a useful tool to navigate around campus: Arne Rettedals Hus, Arne Rettedals Hus, Universitetet i Stavanger - MazeMap.
Lunch will be served in the canteen of Arne Rettedal, tables are reserved for participants in this area.
Conference dinner is Thursday evening at Ask & Embla at the Museum of Archaeology close to Stavanger city centre. Read about Café Ask and Embla.
The conference dinner starts at 7pm and it is possible to attend a guided tour at the museum before dinner. Dinner fee includes an aperitif, tapas buffet, and dessert with coffee and tea. Alcoholic beverages can be purchased at the venue.
The conference will not provide bottled water in an attempt to reduce plastic waste. Everyone is encouraged to bring their own water bottle.
- FLYBUSSEN / Airport bus. The bus takes you from the airport to Stavanger city centre. Some departures (but not all) will stop at the UiS campus (bus stop UiS Vest). More information about prices, booking and itinerary can be found on this website Flybussen Stavanger - Sola airport, the fastest way to city center. If you prefer local transportation from Airport take bus 42 (direction: Sandnes) to Koppholen B, then cross the street to Koppholen A where you can take the X60 to campus (UiS Øst).
- KOLUMBUS – local bus in the Stavanger area Kolumbus AS - public transport in Rogaland. Local busses X60, 6 and 7 will take you from Stavanger City centre to Ullandhaug campus. With local transportation «UiS Øst» is the bus stop closest to Arne Rettedal’s building. Traveling with the bus from Stavanger city centre (Byterminalen) to UiS campus takes approximately 15 minutes.
- Download «Kolumbus billett» to buy tickets and «Kolumbus sanntid» to plan your route.
- CITYBIKES, also offered by Kolumbus, booked and paid in the same application. Information about the bikes The city bike (kolumbus.no).
- It is easy to travel with public transportation between Stavanger city centre and campus. Examples of conveniently located guest houses and hostels are Guesthouse Møllegata or Skansen Hostel. If you are looking for hotels that are closely located to the Airport bus stops, see for example: Thon Hotel Maritim, Scandic Stavanger Park, Clarion Hotel Stavanger or Radisson Blu Stavanger.
- If you wish to stay on the UiS campus, there is the option of Ydalir Hotel: Ydalir Hotel - The surplus goes to the University of Stavanger. Conference participants may book rooms at Ydalir at a reduced price. To access the conference discount, you have to book directly at the hotel via email to email@example.com or call the reception at +47 41766833 and use the code Y23 -KjønnsforskningNÅ! . Note that Ydalir does not have a restaurant. Closest supermarket to campus is KIWI Gosen (google maps).
Exploring campus and Ullandhaug
- If you need a break and/or wish to explore the area, we recommend a visit to the Botanical Garden on campus (located behind Hulda Garborg's building). You may also explore Ullandhaugtårnet (Ullandhaug Tower) which can be seen from campus. There is a great view from the tower. This map shows both the Botanical Garden and Ullandhaugtårnet.