Researcher Breakfast: Uncovering the nature of dark matter in the multi-messenger era

Thursday 13 April 2023 09:00-10:00,


Published Updated on

Uncovering the nature of dark matter in the multi-messenger era

Only about 15% of the matter in our Universe is formed by ordinary particles like electrons and protons, the nature of the remaining 85% is unknown and is usually referred to as dark matter. Dark matter may be formed by new particles that were not discovered until now and many experiments were built to detect these on Earth.

Null results of these experiments suggests that dark matter may interact extremely weakly with ordinary matter which calls for new approaches in this field. At the same time, a completely new window for studying our Universe was recently opened by detection of the so-called gravitational waves. These ripples in the fabric of space and time can be produced by violent processes in the Universe like phase transitions between different phases of matter shortly after the Big Bang and the researchers from the Department of Mathematics and Physics contribute to the development of a space-based experiment LISA that may detect such gravitational waves. 

In this talk, Helena Kolesova will present the research project Uncovering the nature of dark matter in the multi-messenger era and explain how the data from gravitational wave experiments can be used to shed light on the nature of dark matter.

About the event

The event is open for researchers, PhD candidates and anyone else interested.

Registration: Sign up here.

Breakfast will be served.

Please contact the coordinators for any questions: Marit Fosse or Inger GĂ„semyr.

About Researcher breakfast

researcher breakfast logo

Start your workday with inspiring sessions while enjoying your breakfast!
- meet other researchers
- expand your network
- catch up on the latest research at UiS
- get useful tips and training

The Researcher Breakfast is a series of webinars/events aimed at researchers, PhD students and anyone else interested. 
Hosted by the Research Department and the University Library.