You apply for an exchange during the semester before you plan to go on an exchange. Here you will find important information about the application process and special arrangements for certain study programmes.
This deadline applies to both the autumn and spring semester for students at the Faculty of Performing Arts.
Outbound exchange is one or two semesters abroad as part of your studies at one of our partner institutions.
Please note that it is only possible for students who have been admitted to degree studies at the University of Stavanger to apply for an exchange.
You must apply for pre-approval of courses before your exchange. Students at the Faculty of Performing Arts have other arrangements. You will receive information about this during the application process.
Find out where and when you can go on exchange in your study program and familiarize yourself with how to apply.
You must check whether you can find relevant courses at the institutions you are interested in before you apply. Please note that not all institutions recommended in your study program are relevant for your specialization. Which institutions are relevant for you may also depend on whether you must take certain courses or can take elective courses during your exchange.
Contact the study advisor at your faculty/department if you have any doubts, have questions, or need guidance. Find your study advisor.
If you wish to go on an exchange to an institution UiS has an agreement with, but which is not recommended in your study programme, please contact the International Office to clarify whether this is possible.
If you wish to go on an exchange to an institution with which UiS does not have an agreement, you must travel as a so-called 'Freemover'. Then you yourself are responsible for the entire application process. This is not recommended.
- Start the Exchange guide in the Digital Service Desk.
- You will find a link to the application form (in the application portal Søknadsweb) under the stage “Apply" in the Exchange guide.
- Apply within the deadline. It is not possible to apply or change your application after the deadline. Please see our Guidelines to apply for a period of exchange as part of a full degree study programme.
Within 3 weeks from the application deadline, you will receive the outcome of your application.
If you get an offer:
- You must accept or reject the offer in Søknadsweb within the deadline (5 days) stated in the offer letter.
- The offer lapses if you do not respond within the deadline.
Please note that agreements the University of Stavanger has with institutions you apply for can change or be canceled after the application deadline.
All students going on exchange must pay the semester fee at UiS and may be asked to pay an administration fee at the host institution.
Students going on exchange through Erasmus+ do not pay tuition fees to the host institution. Please note that institutions outside Europe usually require tuition fees, especially in USA and Australia. If you are eligible for financial support from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund (Lånekassen), you may apply for additional support for tuition fees.
International students paying tuition fees at UiS must still pay this fee during the exchange period and are not exempt from any tuition fees at the host institution.
Students who are qualified will be offered to be nominated for and can send an application to two partner institutions.
Please note that there will be documentation requirements when applying for an exchange at the partner institution(s). You must not upload these documents to Søknadsweb within the application deadline for exchange at UiS. However, we recommend that you prepare documents/videos as early as possible, as further application deadlines vary depending on the institution and exchange semester.
There may be different requirements at different institutions. It is stated under exchange in your study program page which documents most institutions require. You can also find information about the application process and documentation requirements on the website of the institutions you want to apply to.
If you have accepted the offer within the deadline, you will get a contact person at the International Office and information about the further application process and deadlines in the Exchange guide. It varies from student to student when you receive this information. Institutions abroad have different deadlines, and we prioritize those with the earliest deadline first.
The International Office expects you to read information about outbound exchange on our websites and information you recieve from us and the partner institution carefully.
- Send your application to the partner institution within the given deadline. It is your responsibility to send a complete application within the deadline. It varies, but normally you will receive an answer from the partner institution within 4 weeks after the application deadline.
- Apply for pre-approval of courses.
- Use the Exchange guide. Here you will find activities you must complete before, during and after your exchange.
If you are considering/have decided to withdraw your application, you must inform us.
You can withdraw at any time before your exchange. You must:
- Inform your contact person in the Exchange guide and your study advisor as soon as possible. You do not need to state a reason.
- You must inform the host institution if you have already applied
You can withdraw after the start of your exchange, however, please note the following:
- You must inform your contact person in the Exchange guide and your study advisor as soon as possible. You do not need to state a reason. However, it is important to
- If you are on an exchange through Erasmus+, you may be asked to reimburse the grant. Please find information about Termination of the Exchange on our website Erasmus+ Grant for Exchanges within Europe
Contact the study advisor at your faculty/department if you have questions about courses, pre-approval or your study plan. Find your study advisor.
Contact the International Office if you have general questions about exchange or need help with your application. We will help you in the Exchange Guide in the Digital Student Service Desk.