Structural Dynamics (BYG550)
The course will introduce the analysis and mitigation of vibrations, with applications in civil and mechanical engineering.
Course description for study year 2022-2023
Semester tution start
Number of semesters
Language of instruction
Free vibrations of a single degree of freedom system. Damping models. Vibrations due to harmonic and general excitation. Mechanical transfer function, frequency response function, impulse response function. Response spectrum. Step-by-step integration, Newmark's method. Multi-degree of freedom systems. Matrix formulation. Eigenfrequencies and mode shapes. Modal analysis. Numerical integration methods in vibration analysis.
The course shall give an introduction to analysis and control of vibrations in mechanical systems and civil engineering structures. Upon completing the course, the student shall:
- be familiar with the basic concepts in the dynamic analysis of structures
- be able to establish equation(s) of motion for a single or multi degree of freedom system
- be able to calculate the undamped eigen-frequencies and mode-shapes
- understand and be able to establish various models for damping in structures
- be able to calculate free vibration response of an undamped or damped system
- be able to calculate response of an undamped and damped system due to harmonic load
- be able to calculate response to a general load history by using impulse-response method
- be familiar with the numeric integration methods in vibration analysis.
Required prerequisite knowledge
BYG140 Structural Mechanics 1
|Form of assessment||Weight||Duration||Marks||Aid|
|Written exam||1/1||4 Hours||Letter grades||Basic calculator specified in general exam regulations|
Assigments, 7 of 9 have to be approved before one can take the exam
9 assignments, 7 of which have to be approved in order to take the written exam.
Course coordinator:Jasna Bogunovic Jakobsen
Head of Department:Mona Wetrhus Minde
Method of work
On average 5 lectures and 1 tutorial per week. Compulsory assignments. Laboratory exercises.
|Mechanical Vibrations (MOM140_1)||10|
By form and/or by discussions in class in accordance with university regulations.