Corrosion and materials technology (MSK525)
The impact of material technology on our society is enormous. Basic knowledge of material structures, properties and behaviour is a prerequisite for engineers working with construction and maintenance of offshore oil and gas facilities, renewable energy, ocean farms, all kind of transportation systems, chemical industries, ships, bridges and so on.
We will investigate some of these materials' properties and the effect of production and fabrication, and the metallurgical features associated. In addition, basic theory and how to defeat corrosion attacks by means of theory, cathodic protection and proper material selection are included topics. Also environmental - sensitive fractures in metals are dealt with, including various methods of corrosion resistance testing.
Course description for study year 2022-2023
Semester tution start
Number of semesters
Language of instruction
A candidate who has completed his or her qualification should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has advanced knowledge within the selection of offshore materials and specialized insight in steels
- has thorough knowledge of the hardening mechanisms of metallic materials
- can analyze and deal critically with various sources of information and use them to select materials for critical components and structures
- can analyze existing theories, methods and interpretations in the field and work independently on practical and theoretical problems
- can apply his/her knowledge and skills in new projects in order to carry out advanced assignments and projects
- can communicate extensive independent work and masters language and terminology of the academic field
shall obtain knowledge within:
- Various forms of corrosion.
- How the various forms of corrosion can be retarded or terminated.
- How material selection can reduce the problem of corrosion.
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Form of assessment||Weight||Duration||Marks||Aid|
|Written exam||1/1||3 Hours||Letter grades|
Course coordinator:Torfinn Havn
Course coordinator:Morten Andre Langøy
Course teacher:Torfinn Havn
Head of Department:Mona Wetrhus Minde
Method of work
|Offshore Materials Technology, Corrosion ( MSK500_1 MSK520_1 )||5|