Welding and In-service Inspection Technologies (MSK585)
The course focuses on increasing the understanding of the principles of welding and related quality assurance/ in-service inspection technologies in the field of mechanical/structural engineering. It starts with a description of welding safety, welding physics and its principles, welding metallurgy, types of fusion and solid state welding methods, Merits and Limitations of welding process, and weld quality control. It covers introduction to various types of welded joints, details of welded connections, the life cycle perspective of a welded fabrication: different weld geometries, welding symbols, filler metal selection, shielding gas selection, residual stress estimation, welds acceptance criteria, types of weld defects and quality control approaches, life extension approaches, use of robotics in welding, welding inspection program development and welding cost calculations.
Course description for study year 2022-2023
Semester tution start
Number of semesters
Language of instruction
The course aims at fundamentals of various Welding processes (fusion and solid state welding), welding metallurgy (carbon and stainless steel), Weld metal requirements like matching filler metals, Electrodes selection for welding processes, Shielding methods, Weld joints types, design of welded connections, residual stress evaluation, welding symbols and safety precautions as per internationally accepted codes (AWS, ASME, NORSOK).
Prequalification of Welding procedure specifications (WPSs) and its qualifications for various type of joints, PART-A-General requirement for preparations of Welding procedure specification (WPS) and Procedure Qualification record (PQR), PART-B- Welding procedure specification (WPS), Essential variable limitations, Number of tests, testing methods and acceptance standards for WPS qualification, Qualification test requirements, test assemblies, qualification ranges and validity of qualifications for various joint types. PART-C Welder Performance qualification (WPQ), essential variables, Number of tests and methods for WPQ and duration of qualifications.
Welding Fabrication covers preparation of materials assembly, welding positions and various destructive and Nondestructive Inspection techniques. The risk/reliability based weld integrity assessment and control are explained. Welding quality control approaches in fabrication yards and welding fabrication projects’ roles explained. Geometrical aspects of welded joint performance improvement and life extension approaches explained.
Nondestructive testing methods of examination covers general requirements, equipment, procedural calibration, examinations and Inspections, evaluation, documentation as per internationally accepted codes (ASME SEC IX). Fundamentals for Nondestructive examinations like Ultrasonic (introduction to Phase array UT, TOFD), Radiography, Penetration testing, Magnetic particle, Eddy current testing. Probability of weld defect detection (PoD) calculations supported by CIVA non-destructive testing (NDT) simulation.
- the welding safety, welding symbols, welding parameters, weld joint types and designs and welding metallurgy, how to minimize defects during fabrication and operational life.
- the how to select filler material & shielding and the need for pre- and post-weld heat treatment.
- the influence of residual stress in welded joints during operational life, residual stress minimization& estimation techniques.
- the geometric sources of local stress concentrations and sources to eccentricities.
- the life extension approaches of a welded connection and minimization of stress concentration.
- the influence of welding parameters on final joint performance and role & preparation of welding documentation
- the role of national and international standards/codes relevant for weld fabrication and inspection of existing welds and to develop mechanical and structural welded joints’ inspection programs
- the role of reliability and risk based approaches in welded joints’ integrity assessment
- pros and cons of existing NDT methods in weld integrity assurance and selection of NDT approach for inspection of a selected weld geometry.
- Perform welding cost calculations with special focus on filler metal & shielding gas selection vs. penetration increase & spatter minimization.
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Form of assessment||Weight||Duration||Marks||Aid|
|Written exam||1/1||3 Hours||Letter grades|