Student visas in the United States

Everyone studying in the United States must have a visa. Start the process as early as possible - it can be both detailed and time-consuming.

Published Updated on
Important information:

You are solely responsible for applying for a visa.

Visa applications are submitted to the U.S. Embassy in Oslo.   

Contact the U.S. Embassy if you have questions. 

Where do you want to go?

You are responsible for contacting the embassy and applying for a visa. You will receive the necessary visa documents from the partner institution upon admission.

The American universities typically host students who have an F-1 type visa (student visa) or a J-1 type visa (exchange visitor). They will issue an I-20 or DS-2019 depending on the visa type.  

I-20 = F-1  
DS-2019 = J-1  

Summary of the application process: 

1. Pay the SEVIS fee  
Once you have received the I-20 or DS-2019, you must first pay SEVIS fees in the amount of about USD 200 (subject to change). You do this here: Form I-901 

2. Apply for a visa and make an appointment for an interview 
All applicants must show up in person for an interview at the United States Embassy in Oslo. Please note that the stay at the embassy can take around two hours. The interview itself normally takes around 15 minutes. Note! If you arrive late for the appointment and/or you do not have all the necessary documents with you, the embassy may ask you to apply again. Note that your passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months after returning to Norway and that it will take around 3 weeks before you get your passport back after the interview. 

You can find detailed information about the visa application procedure on the official website  

Visa type F-1 

Visa type J-1 

Visa application (DS-160) 

Cost: About NOK 1,500 (subject to change)  

Please note that J-1 entails a two-year "quarantine" after your stay before you can apply for a permanent work or residence permit in the United States. The quarantine applies only if the student receives financial support from government agencies, such as the Norwegian Educational Loan Fund. 

More information about outbound exchange