Visas and Permits

After having been appointed at UiS, you should apply for a visa and a work permit as soon as possible.

Your first step is to determine what kind of permit you need. Visiting researchers, who are here for one year or less, need a visiting researcher permit, while PhD students and staff will need a work permit. The type of permit also depends on whether you are from an EU/EEA/EFTA country or elsewhere.

For comprehensive information on visa and work permits, please consult the website of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration. In addition, we recommend the EURAXESS Norway website for incoming researchers.

The steps you need to take upon arrival in Norway, can be made at the Service Center for Foreign Workers in Stavanger.

If you fail to find the necessary information from the links provided above, please use our partner INN Rogaland's helpdesk at telephone +47 51 51 08 74 or e-mail, or register for the UiS/INN Immigration Support Program.