This course covers the general energy picture of the world, and a brief introduction to various fuels including fossil fuels and renewable energy sources and their corresponding advantages and disadvantages.
Free of charge, except for course material
The course provides you a comprehensive review of applied thermodynamics that is needed to study different energy systems including renewable energy systems. It also covers the main renewable energy sources and their thermal and power applications, including solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass energies.
It is expected that students:
- understand societal needs for energy transition and sustainable development
- learn the energy resource classification
- understand challenges and advantages related to renewable energy sources as compared with fossil fuels
- have broad and basic knowledge of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and heat transfer applied to renewable- and fossil-based energy systems
- know about different technologies for solar energy, wind energy, hydropower, geothermal energy, and biomass energy utilization including thermal and power systems
- After taking the course, students should know how to:
- apply an interdisciplinary approach to various energy-related projects
- use different diagrams (such as thermodynamics ones) to extract necessary parameters for simple energy system analysis
- carry out simple energy analysis of different energy systems (both for thermal and power applications) from an energy, environmental and performance perspective
Start up date:
- Week 35
- Lectures, exercises, interactive group works and discussions, compulsory assignments, and self-study
- Mandatory assignments must be approved by the teacher before the exam.
- Written exam, 3 hours, theory (multiple choices questions), and calculations
- grade: A-F
- Exam date: 30.11.2022
- Bachelor Degree 180 ECTS
- Foreign applicants must also document education and English skills in accordance with NOKUT's regulations.
Recommended prerequisite knowledge
- Bachelor or Master's degree within the field of Engineering.
- Lecture and exercise materials
- Textbook: Fundamentals and applications of renewable energy, Mehmet Kanoglu, Yunus A. Cengel, and John M. Cimbala, 1st Edition, Mc Graw Hill, ISBN: 978-1-26-045530-4