Hopp til hovedinnhold

Memorial University of Newfoundland

Memorial University ( MUM) is uniquely positioned in the harsh maritime environment of Newfoundland and Labrador. Memorial’s faculty members are global experts in the fields of ocean engineering and science, offshore industry and policy and technology.

Information about the university
Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN) is a university headquartered in the provincial capital of St. John's in Newfoundland, Canada, with a branch in Harlow, England. St. John’s is North America’s easternmost city, excluding Greenland. The university was founded in 1925 and is one of the top 20 research universities in Canada. There are more than 18.000 students from over 100 countries studying at MUN. MUN was ranked 7th in Maclean’s magazine’s top comprehensive school category for 2019.
Language of instruction
Language requirements
Students must demonstrate a Level 4 out of a possible Level 6 in English
on Norwegian senior high school transcript.
GPA requirements
Minimum average grade C
Total number of exchange places
No number given
Total number of free places per semester
The agreement require a balance of exchange students, no number given.
In case of inbalance, students must pay tuition fees.
Tuition fee

Tuition fee in case of imbalance of exchange students

Tuition fee as full time domestic students bachelor level & master level


Scholarships and loan through Lånekassen for eligible students.


For students at Faculty of Science and Technology it is possible to apply for North2north scholarship. Please find information about this on the website above.

Academic year

Fall semester: Beginning of September to mid December
Winter semester: Beginning of January to end of April
Spring semester: Mid May to end of August

Acamdemic calendar.

How to find subjects
Credits abroad

BA level: 15 credits = 30 studypoints/ ECTS

MA level: 12 credits = 30 studiepoeng/ ECTS


MUN recommends three choices for accommodations in St. John's, Newfoundland & Labrador:
Temporary housing, on campus housing, off campus housing.

More information about housing options.


When Norwegian students are going on shorter study stays in Canada (up to 6 months), the passport and admission letter from the institution will be sufficient documentation on entry.

Those who wish to study in Canada for more than 6 months must apply for a student visa (Study Permit).

Further inquiries?