University of Milan-Bicocca

Do you want to enjoy a city life style in Northern Italy and receive education abroad from the second highest ranked Italian University? Apply for a exchange semester in the Lombard region!

Information about the university

Bicocca is a young university that will connect you with students from all over the world. It is located in the district of Milan, rich for its culture and architecture. Bicocca combines scientific rigour and a capacity to evolve, always taking on new challenges and reaching for higher goals.

The university is the third largest university in Milan and has 32000 students, of which over 2200 are international. A unique university campus in Italy with its 28 buildings spread all over Milan, Monza and the Maldives. It comprises 14 departments spread over 7 faculties.

University of Stavanger has an Erasmus+agreement with University of Milano-Bicocca within the field of Earth Sciences/Geology. Information about the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences (DISAT).

Useful information for Erasmus+ students

Language of instruction

English and Italian

Language requirements

English proficiency recommended at B2 level (read upper-intermediate = 4 in English from "vgs" for Norwegian students) and/or minimum B1 level for Italian (read intermediate = 3 in Italian from "vgs" for Norwegian students)

Description of proficiency levels according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

Students who do not meet the language requirements will be offered online language courses prior the exchange period.

Each semester the University of Milano-Bicocca organizes Italian language courses for exchange students with the aim of improving their communication skills and knowledge of the Italian culture. The following courses will be offered to exchange students: Beginner, Pre-Elementary, and Elementary.

Students need to be placed in their appropriate course level by a compulsory online placement test, which will be delivered after their arrival in Italy.

The Italian Course is compulsory, too. Students can choose to either include it in their study plan – as a 3 ECTS course (course code ITAERA01) or attend it as an extra-curricular course. In that case, it will not be included in students’ official transcripts. Only students attending at least 75 % of classes will be allowed to register for the final exam. Credits or a Certificate of attendance will be issued for students who seat and pass the final exam.

English native speaker students or foreign students with a B2 certification of English or a B1 level certification of Italian will be exempted from the Italian course. In that case, students should provide the necessary documentation.

GPA requirements

No GPA requirements

Total number of exchange places

2 for Master students in Geology.

Tuition fee

Student doing exchange within Erasmus+ are exempted from tuition fees.


Erasmus+-grant in combination with loan and grant from Lånekassen for eligible students.

Academic year

Autumn semester: End of September – End of January

Spring semester: March 1st – End of June

If the exchange semester ends later than the following semester starts at UiS, the institute / faculty (in collaboration with the partner institution) can assist you so you are not delayed in your studies.

There are various possibilities for facilitation: You might take courses that do not require you to be present during the examination period, you might be exempted from compulsory teaching at UiS or you might get an extended deadline for submission of bachelor's and master's theses. Contact your study coordinator at the department for more information.

How to find subjects

Subject Overview:

Credits abroad

30 ECTS = 30 Studiepoeng


It is possible to apply for student housig via the international office at Milano-Bicocca, student accomodation is limited
It is also possible for private housing.


Norwegian students do not need to apply for visa when travelling to Europe. Students who do not hold Norwegian citizenship must check themselves if they need to apply for Visa.

Further inquiries?