ICOME 10 continues the series of ICOME conferences held at Rydzyna (1994), Helsinki (1997), Dublin (1999), Vienna (2002), Naples (2005), Cambridge (2008), Lviv (2011), Murcia (2013) and Wroclaw (2015). It will cover different aspects of Middle English language and texts, including papers on historical linguistic, philological-textual and literary topics.
The following plenary speakers have kindly confirmed their participation:
- Richard Dance (University of Cambridge, UK)
The Trouble with Vikings: ‘Difficult’ Old Norse Borrowings in Middle English.
- Alexandra Gillespie (University of Toronto, Canada)
"Unbokeled is the male": Chaucer and the Makeshift Manuscript.
- Gabriella Mazzon (University of Innsbruck, Austria)
Narration and argumentation in Middle English romances.
- Matti Peikola (University of Turku, Finland)
Paratextual Elements in Middle English Manuscripts: Challenges and Opportunities for Research.
The venue for ICOME 10 is the Kjell Arholm Building (Kjell Arholms Hus) on the main campus of the University of Stavanger.
The Book of Abstracts is now available.
There will be a pre-conference workshop organized by the Stavanger team, presenting the Corpus of Middle English Local Documents (MELD).
NB We had also planned a dedicated workshop on Middle English administrative texts; however, as some of the speakers were unable to participate, and the relevant abstracts had so many interesting connections with other papers, we ended up integrating them into the overall conference programme. Instead, perhaps there will be a dedicated conference on administrative texts at some point!
The social programme includes two complimentary receptions on Wednesday 31 May (in the Atrium of Kjell Arholms Hus) and Thursday 1 June (at the Archaeological Museum of Stavanger).
In addition, you may like to register for the following extra activities: Stavanger guided walk, conference dinner, bus tour of historic and prehistoric sites, and walk to the Pulpit Rock.
We look forward to seeing you in Stavanger!
- Geir Bergstrøm
- Anastasia Khanukaeva
- Martti Mäkinen
- Delia Schipor
- Jeremy J. Smith
- Merja Stenroos
- Kjetil V. Thengs
- Juan Camilo Conde Silvestre (University of Murcia)
- Kathryn Kerby-Fulton (University of Notre Dame)
- Tim Machan (University of Notre Dame)
- Donka Minkova (UCLA)
- Joanna Nykiel (University of Silesia)
- Janne Skaffari (University of Turku)
- Irma Taavitsainen (University of Helsinki)
- Jacob Thaisen (University of Oslo)
- Laura Wright (University of Cambridge)