PhD training / PhD candidates at UiS

Can I start my PhD training without funding or as self-funded?
No, UiS does not accept PhD candidates that are self-funded or don’t have any funding at all.

How can I enroll in one of the PhD programmes at UiS?
PhD candidates employed as a research fellow at UiS will be automatically admitted to one of the PhD programmes at UiS, and no separate application is needed. This admission is given on condition that the PhD candidate, within three months after employment started, submitts a project plan and gets it approved the faculty's doctoral committee. PhD candidates not funded/employed by UiS must apply for admission to a relevant programme. Click here for more information.

Within which fields does UiS offer PhD training?
UiS offers PhD training within 11 areas, each of which spans a broad range of disciplines: 1. Petroleum Technology, 2. Offshore Technology, 3. Information Technology, Mathematics and Physics, 4. Chemistry and Biological Science, 5. Risk Management and Societal Safety (Technical approach). 6. Health and Medicine 7. Management, Economics and Tourism, 8. Risk Management and Societal Safety (sociological approach), 9. Sociology, Social Work, and Culture and Society, 10. Educational Sciences, 11. Literacy.

What is the difference between a public sector/ an industrial PhD and an ordinary PhD?
The industrial PhD and the public sector PhD are two different schemes for funding PhD training, administered by the Norwegian Research Council (NFR). They do not represent a new type of PhD. The candidate follows the ordinary PhD training at the institution that awards the PhD degree. The difference is that, during his or her period of training, the candidate is not employed by the university, but by a public body (e.g. municipality) or a company which must have a special need for research into the given topic.

What are my rights and duties as a PhD candidate?
The PhD candidates’ rights and duties are stipulated in different laws, rules and regulations on both institutional and national level, first of all the PhD regulations at UiS. The Norwegian Association of Researchers (Forskerforbundet) has issued a useful handbook on this topic. Another crucial document is the “Agreement on Admission to the PhD programme” which has to be signed before the PhD candidate starts his or her training.   

I am struggling with stress and it is effecting my mental health, whom can I talk to?
If you are experiencing these problems, you should first try to discuss it with someone you know and trust, and see if it is possible to do something with your work situation that can decrease the stressors. If this does not help, you should contact the Occupational Health Service at UiS. Click here for relevant contact persons and more information.

I am having physical pains related to my job (neck pains, arms, shoulder etc.) is there anywhere I can go for help?
The Occupational Health Service can provide help concerning many different health related problems. If you experience work related physical pains, contact the Occupational Health Service for both an inspection of your physical work environment, and they can provide health specialists depending on your physical health problems. Click here for relevant contact persons and more information.

Does UiS offer Norwegian language courses for newly arrived PhD candidates?
UiS offers Norwegian language courses for beginners at a reduced rate to new international students. Click here for more information.

What level of English is required when applying for PhD training?
Applicants are expected to have a good command of English, both orally and written. However, UiS does not formally require any specific English tests (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS).