Despite significant efforts being made, major accidents and unwanted events still continues to occur in various scales. In a way this can be attributed to the complexity of many factors that potentially influence health & safety risk in industrial environments. Culture, risk awareness, work sociology, working conditions, managerial practices, procedural deviations, etc. are often sighted as contributing factors. Despite the knowledge acquired over years and years of historical events, the subject is even more challenging to be addressed under the modern industrial and work settings, and hence demand new perspectives and innovation to improve the current status.
The purpose of this forum is to enable those who have passion, interests, and responsibilities in health and safety issues to join hands in exploring opportunities to make a difference in dealing with major accidents and unwanted events related risks in industrial environments.
Interested and want to learn more about the Knowledge Hub? Download the flier here. (pdf)
Ongoing HUB Project: Digital Risk in Smart Engineering Systems
Technology has changed the way engineering systems are setup, leading to “Smart Engineering Systems”. The increased reliance on these integrating digital solutions has brought unprecedented challenges to the industry. This project has the objective of providing a roadmap to effectively deal with digital risk as the industry transitions from traditional to “smart” systems. It is divided in three steps:
- Identifying new characteristics in smart engineering systems (changes from previous systems)
- Categorizing those changes by risk, context, cause and consequence
- Elaborating a defensive strategy with preventive and mitigating measures to deal with the changes
Previous themed covered:
14. April 2016 (UiS) "Managing dynamic operation risk: Fully automated or hybrid?"
- Bjarne Andre Asheim, Managing Director, Eldor Tech AS
20. September 2016 (UiS) "Integrated Operations (IO) safety and reliability."
- Andrew Kilmartin, Former North Atlantic Drilling
- Ingrid Årstad, PTIL
- Martin Guy Williams, EY
09. November 2016 (UiS) Group Project: "Digital Risk in Smart Engineering Systems."
- group work session 1
14. february 2017 (UiS) Group Project: "Digital Risk in Smart Engineering Systems."
- group work session 2
12. september 2017 (UiS) Group Project: "Digital Risk in Smart Engineering Systems."
- group work session 3
01. november 2017 (UiS) Group Project: "Digital Risk in Smart Engineering Systems."
- group work session 4
Check for upcoming knowledge hubs here.