Participants from both research institutions and industry took part in the last workshop at The National IOR Centre of Norway. The theme: Core Preparation. On the agenda were questions like what is the current understanding of core preparation and what should the focus be for the years to come. The industry partners were asked to state what is missing in our understanding and implementation of core preparation.
Experts from NORCE, UiS and the industry gave talks on the subject. By the end of the workshop the participants were split in four groups for futher discussions on the subject.
Garbage in, garbage out
Álvaro Muñoz-Beltran from Stratum Reservoir – formerly Weatherford Laboratories – started the workshop with a talk about methodologies and challenges in SCAL core preparation.
«Cleaning and drying of the core is essential to avoid "garbage in, garbage out" results,» he said.
From the workshop as a whole, these are some of the overall points:
- There is a lack of standardization of core scale preparation procedures in the industry
- The major unknown is reservoir wettability, it is extremely hard to know if the right wettability is reproduced in the lab
- Mud invasion and mud effect on cores are a big challenge, and more research is needed
In the breakout sessions uncertainty was one of the topics discussed.
«Laboratories should be better at adressing the uncertainty in their results. That builds credibility,» Aksel Hiorth said summing up the discussion in his group.
For the way forward, several of the groups saw the need for further development of digital rock physics.
- SCAL core preparation: methodologies and challenges, Álvaro Muñoz-Beltran, Stratum Reservoir – formerly Weatherford Laboratories
- Challenges in Achieving “Representative” Reservoir Wettability, Izaskun Zubizarreta, Lloyd’s Register, UK
- Representative wettability conditions in lab, Ingebret Fjelde, NORCE
- Core handling: from reservoir to reliable laboratory results, Skule Strand, UiS
- Digitizing core data – Improve reservoir understanding, Egil Boye Petersen, AkerBP
- What is missing in our understanding/implementation of Core Preparation?, Robert Orr, Equinor
Text and photo: Kjersti Riiber