Applicants who live in Norway and have a Norwegian ID number (fødselsnummer) must apply as a local applicant through local admissions, regardless of citizenship and educational background.
In order to be eligible for Master's programmes in Norway, you need to document a Bachelor's degree of minimum three years. Depending on where you completed upper secondary education, you may be required to have more than three years of university education. Please check the GSU-list for detailed information and requirements for each country.
A Bachelor's degree with a specialization of at least 80 ECTS credits in one or more of the following subject areas or equivalent is required:
- Social sciences
- Hotel management
- Tourism management
- Social anthropology
- Political science
Professional bachelor degrees in the following areas qualify for admission: police, teacher education, health care, social care and journalism.
English language proficiency requirements:
One of the following tests is required unless you have a bachelor degree from Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Great Britain or the USA:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Internet-based test with a total score of at least 90 points, and at least 22 points on the written section / Paper-based test of with a score of at least 575 points.
- International English Language Testing service (IELTS) Academic test with a score of least 6,5 points total, and at least 6,0 points on the written section.
- The University of Cambridge English exam: Certificate in Advanced English or Certificate of Proficiency in English. First Certificate in English does not meet the requirement
- PTE Academic - The Pearson's Test of English, with a total score of at least 62 points and at least 53 points on the written section.
How to register your application
Local applicants apply through SøknadsWeb. Please select 'National identifier and PIN', enter your Norwegian ID number (11 digits), PIN and log in. If you have not used this service before, select 'Register new user' and follow the instructions.
Select 'APPLICATION FOR MASTER'S PROGRAMMES AND FURTHER EDUCATION (www.uis.no/masteropptak)'
Faculty of Social Sciences:
You can select up to 5 different alternatives. Please note, however, that only the following programmes do not require formal norwegian language proficiency for higher education:
- Business Administration (master), Energy, Environment and Society, International Hospitality Management
Please submit all your documents through Søknadsweb, as PDF-files. Please merge documents that contain more than one page into a single PDF-file. Please submit:
- Transcript of records
- Certificate of relevant work experience: must include start and end dates; number of work hours; must be signed by your employer
- English test if required
Please be warned that false documentation or forging of documents is considered a crime punishable by The General Civil Penal Code (straffeloven). The University of Stavanger will report any forged documentation to the police.
Local admission process
Local application is now open through Søknadsweb.
Deadline for local applicant with a foreign education background.
Deadline for submitting your documents. For applicants who are finishing their degree after March 5: please submit preliminary transcript of records to your online application.
Highly ranked local applicants for Master in Business Administration get their admission letter.
For applicants who are finishing their degree after March 5: please submit your diploma and final transcript of records.
You will have received your admission letter within this date. The admission letter will be sent to your registered e-mail.