Exemptions from the English language requirements are limited. A bachelor’s degree taught in English does not necessarily fall under one of the exemptions listed below.
Approved international tests/exams:
- Minimum score of 80 (Internet-based) or 550 (paper-based)
- Writing section minimum score of 22 (Internet-based)
- Upload the TOEFL score report. Provide your ETS "username" and "password" to verify your scores. Name the PDF file as ENG.
- ETS TOEFL score reports are valid for two years from the test date and must be valid on the date of applying electronically to the University of Stavanger
- NB! The University of Stavanger does NOT accept local institutional TOEFL ITP tests
- Minimum overall band score of 6.0
- Writing section minimum score of 6.0
- Upload the IELTS Test Report Form. The University of Stavanger verifies these online. Name the PDF file as ENG.
- IELTS Test Report Forms are valid for two years from the test date and must be valid on the date of applying electronically to the University of Stavanger
- Minimum overall score of 53
- Writing section minimum score of 53
- Upload the PTE Test Report. The University of Stavanger can verify the test report online.
- PTE score reports are valid for two years from the test date and must be valid on the date of applying electronically to the University of Stavanger.
- Certificate in Advanced English (C1) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (C2)
Exemptions and the GSU-list
The GSU list (Higher Education Entrance Qualification for foreign applicants) is used by Norwegian universities in the admission process to higher education.
For each country, the GSU list indicates if there is an English language requirement, along with a number indicating which categories of applicants may be exempted.
- Applicants who have completed secondary school in one of the countries marked as “No” in the GSU list
- Applicants who have completed secondary school in Europe marked as "Yes 1" in the GSU list may be exempted from the English language requirement with English fromn high school. Find more information about the English language requirement here.
- Applicants who have obtained a bachelor's degree in Ethiopia, Liberia, Namibia, or Philippines with English as the language of instruction (marked as "Yes 2" in the GSU-list)
- Applicants who have passed an A-Level examination in English in Hong Kong, Macao, or Namibia may be exempted (marked as "Yes 3" in the GSU-list)
- Applicants who have completed at least one-year studies at high school or university in Australia, Canada, Ireland, the UK, the US or New Zealand. The place of instruction must have been in one of these countries and the language of instruction must have been English.
The following tests from the GSU list DO NOT meet the English language requirements to master programmes taught in English at the University of Stavanger:
- The University of Cambridge English exam: First Certificate in English
- The European Language Certificate (telc): English B2, B2-C1 University, English certificates on C1-level
The following exemptions from the GSU list DO NOT apply to master programmes taught in English at the University of Stavanger:
- Completed a master's degree taught in English outside Nordic countries.
- Passed English in Norwegian upper secondary school (140 hours per year/ 5 hours per week) **This exemption applies only to applicants who have completed their upper secondary education from Norway.