If you are in doubt regarding the application for visa and study permit, contact the nearest Norwegian Embassy/Consulate or check the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) webpage.
Citizens from non EU/EEA countries
Citizens from non EU/EEA countries need a study permit in order to enter Norway. After receiving the Letter of Admission students are advised to immediately contact the nearest Norwegian Embassy or Consulate for information on procedures. The processing may take up to two to three months and there is an application fee.
For more information read Chapter 3 in the "International Student Guide". Located left on this page (on a computer).
You are required to contact the local immigration office at the Stavanger Police Station within seven days after your arrival in Norway.
You need to make an appointment beforehand. There are several possibilities:
- You can book an appointment when you register your application online in the UDI Application Portal. It is the last step of the registration
- You can call to make an appointment: (+47) 51 89 94 70
(Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 09:00 - 11:00 and 12:00 - 13:00)
- Go to the information desk during their office hours:
Immigration Office, Lagårdsveien 6, Stavanger
Monday and Thursday 8:00 - 10:45
After the police registration, you will receive a residence card in the mail. The residence permit is usually valid for one year.
When you are granted a study permit in Norway, you are automatically also granted permission to work up to 20 hours per week and full-time during ordinary holidays.
Exemption from applying for a visa to enter Norway
Citizens of countries with which Norway has signed a visa waiver agreement may apply for a Norwegian study permit within seven days after arrival. However, applying from your country of origin is recommended.
Citizens from EU/EEA countries
Citizens from EU/EEA countries do not need a visa to enter Norway, but they are required to arrange their study permit at the local immigration office at the Stavanger Police Station within three months after their arrival in Norway. More detailed information about this process is available in the "International Student Guide".
Exemption from applying for a study permit
The following categories of students are exempted from applying for a study permit:
- Citizens from Nordic countries (Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland)
- Citizens from EU/EEA countries who plan to stay in Norway for a period shorter than 90 days
Immigration office – Stavanger Police Station
The immigration office at Stavanger Police Station is located in Lagårdsveien 6.
- Email email@example.com
- Phone (+47) 51 89 94 70. (Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 09:00 - 11:00 and 12:00 - 13:00)
- Office opening hours: Monday and Thursday 8:00 - 10:45