VISIT NORWAY LESS THAN 90 DAYS
If you intend to stay in Norway less than 90 days you do not need to apply for a residence permit. However, depending on your nationality, you might need a visitor's visa to enter Norway.
VISIT NORWAY LONGER THAN 90 DAYS
If you are a person with a resident permit in Schengen country, you do not need a visa to visit Norway: countries that have agreements with Norway.
If you are a non-EU/EEA national, and not formally employed by UiS, and your intended stay in Norway is more than 90 days, you need a residence permit. The application is a two-fold process consisting of an initial online registration and a subsequent personal meeting with the immigration authorities upon arrival to finalize the permit. Note: only granted residence permit authorize you to work in Norway. Start the process early!
- Study the information carefully from the Norwegian Directorate of immigration (UDI): Want to apply.
- We recommend you to read the "Checklist for researchers with own funds".
- At www.udi.no you can find more information regarding this "Visit Norway without a visa".
- Book an appointment for getting the residence card. Do the booking in advance of moving to Norway and choose one of the first available timeslots after your planned arrival in Stavanger: Service Center for Foreign Workers in Stavanger.
- University of Stavanger do unfortunately not apply on behalf of visitors.