Immigration Guide - EEA/EU National

In Stavanger it is Service Centre for Foreign Workers (SUA) who carry out the services for you to be able to work in Norway.

Registration certificate
When you plan to stay in Norway for more than three months, you will need a Registration Certificate. Please find the information from the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) - The registration scheme for EEA/EU nationals here. You may book the appointment before you arrive in Norway.

To be able to start your salary at the University of Stavanger it is important that you start the process early.

Service Centre for Foreign Workers (SUA)
The appointment with the authorities will be at the Service Centre for Foreign Workers (SUA) in Stavanger. The Service Centre is located in Stavanger, Lågårdsveien 46 (Skatt vest). 

Opening hours:
15 May – 14 September: Monday to Friday 09:00 – 14:30
15 September – 14 May: Monday to Friday 09:00 – 15:00

SUA will assist you with the following

  • Report your move to Norway
    Anyone who settles in Norway for a period of stay exceeding six months have to register in the National Registry. 

  • Norwegian Identity Number / tax registration
    You will get a Norwegian Identity Number due tax registration (as mentioned in the process above). It consists of 11 digits, of which the first six digits indicate the person's date of birth.

Be aware of that you will receive the information/documentation after the appointment to your Norwegian address registered in the National Register. (The National Register do not inform the Post Office which address you have, so it is important that you notify your Norwegian living address on the post office.)

Bring the following documentation with you to the appointment at SUA:

Go to the nearest Post Office and bring with the following documentation:

For FAQ and search for central Post Office nearest to you, please visit customer service on Customer Service at Posten. Email: Tel.: 04004. Calling from abroad + 47 21316260.The appointment will be at the Service Centre for Foreign Workers

Norwegian bank account
Once you have received your Norwegian Identity Number, you can open a bank account.

Bring the following documentation
  • passport
  • EEA/EU registration certificate
  • Norwegian identity number
  • valid work contract and/or tax card

Recommended banks

To open a bank account please click on the relevant link for the bank of choice and register online. Once that is done, the bank will inform you once they have processed your online application.