When you plan to stay in Norway for more than three months, you will need a Registration Certificate. Please find the information from the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) - The registration scheme for EEA/EU nationals here. You may book the appointment before you arrive in Norway.
- To obtain the EEA/EU registration certificate you must create new user account (UDI).
- Choose Stavanger municipality and the organization number to the University of Stavanger is 971564679.
- Book the appointment.
- Checklist for for which documents to bring with you and if you want to bring your family
To be able to start your salary at the University of Stavanger it is important that you start the process early.
Service Centre for Foreign Workers (SUA)
The appointment with the authorities will be at the Service Centre for Foreign Workers (SUA) in Stavanger. The Service Centre is located in Stavanger, Lågårdsveien 46 (Skatt vest).
15 May – 14 September: Monday to Friday 09:00 – 14:30
15 September – 14 May: Monday to Friday 09:00 – 15:00
SUA will assist you with the following
Report your move to Norway
Anyone who settles in Norway for a period of stay exceeding six months have to register in the National Registry.
Norwegian Identity Number / tax registration
You will get a Norwegian Identity Number due tax registration (as mentioned in the process above). It consists of 11 digits, of which the first six digits indicate the person's date of birth.
Be aware of that you will receive the information/documentation after the appointment to your Norwegian address registered in the National Register. (The National Register do not inform the Post Office which address you have, so it is important that you notify your Norwegian living address on the post office.)
Bring the following documentation with you to the appointment at SUA:
- Contract of Employment, valid for 3 months or more. The date must not be older than 3 months.
- Valid housing contract / rental contract valid for at least 6 months. The date must not be older than 3 months.
- The form RF-1401 - Notification to the tax office of a move to Norway from abroad
- The form RF-1209 – Applying for a tax deduction card for foreign citizens. (The form requires organization number to University of Stavanger: 971564679)
- The UDI form “Employment certificate for EEA/EFTA nationals” (Fill out the form and send it to email@example.com for signature.)
Go to the nearest Post Office and bring with the following documentation:
- filled in Post Office form - "New Mail Recipient"
For FAQ and search for central Post Office nearest to you, please visit customer service on Customer Service at Posten. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel.: 04004. Calling from abroad + 47 21316260.The appointment will be at the Service Centre for Foreign Workers
Once you have received your Norwegian Identity Number, you can open a bank account.
Bring the following documentation
- EEA/EU registration certificate
- Norwegian identity number
- valid work contract and/or tax card
Sparebank 1: Phone: 02002, web page: https://www.sparebank1.no/nb/sr-bank/privat/kundeservice/bestill/become-customer-without-BankID.html. English information on web page. English internet banking. Sparebank 1 – SR Bank set up an account very quick and will immediately activate your bank account the directly.
Nordea: Phone: 06001, web page: https://www.nordea.no/privat/bli-kunde/become-a-nordea-customer.html ; English information on web page. English internet banking.
Sparebanken Vest: Phone 05555, Web page: https://www.spv.no/english/become-a-customer English web page. No English internet banking
S’banken: https://secure.sbanken.no/Personal/NewCustomer/passport Norwegian online bank. Web page in Norwegian only.
DNB: Phone: 04800, web page: https://www.dnb.no/en/personal/customer-service/new-customer-location-norway.html. English web page. English internet banking.
To open a bank account please click on the relevant link for the bank of choice and register online. Once that is done, the bank will inform you once they have processed your online application.