Immigration guide

If you come from a country outside the EU/EEA to work and live in Norway you need a residence permit. We recommend you to not start your own visa process. The process will be smoother if you let us assist you.

Euraxess Mobility Centre UiS (EMC) will contact you with necessary information as soon as the Contract of Employment is signed, and offer our relocation program.

The Norwegian authorities requires a starting date in the employees application for the residence permit. Usually, which usually is the date in the Contract of Employment. However, the authorities might not give the employee the residence permit the same date, usually a few day after. We have to remind our employees that when the residence permit is given, the Contract of Employment is valid.

If the Contract of Employment has a starting date which is not the same as the residence permit the starting date in the Contract of Employment will be changed.

The relocation program includes:

  • Visa application
  • Applying for residence permit
  • Assistance in the meeting with the Service Center for Foreign Workers (SUA)
  • Registration in the Norwegian National Registry
  • Assistance with application for Tax Deduction Card
  • Assistance with application for a Norwegian Identity Number
  • Registration at the Official Post Office
  • Opening of bank account(s)
  • Health care/primary doctor
  • Follow up with immigration authorities
  • TB test when required

University of Stavanger cover relocation service and visa fee for the employee and partner/family. The fee will be reimbursed when the employee is registered as an employee at UiS (Norwegian Identity Number and Norwegian bank account is required).