- Giving the students an introduction to vessels and response of vessels that are being used for marine operations
- Giving the students an understanding of problems related to different types of marine operations
- Giving the students an understanding of the limitations wind and waves pose on marine operations
- Giving the students an understanding of the risks associated with marine operations
- Preparing the students for work with their Master thesis through the preparation of a thorough project report
This course can be considered an extension of the course OFF580, Marine Technology and design: dynamics of structures exposed to wave loads and modeling of waves as stochastic processes will here be considered. An introduction to vessel types and vessel response as well as mooring and dynamic positioning of vessels will be given. Different types of marine operations will be discussed. Themes as weather windows and marine operations, towing, crane operations and underwater installation works are part of the course. Furthermore, risk assessments associated with marine operations will be part of the course.
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Written exam||4 hours|
Compulsory lab exercises (with demonstration of computer programme).
- Course coordinator
- Muk Chen Ong
- Course teacher
- Ibuki Kusano , Sverre Kristian Haver , Lin Li , Muk Chen Ong , Charlotte Obhrai , Ove Tobias Gudmestad
- Head of Department
- Tor Henning Hemmingsen
Method of work
|Marine Operations (MOM490_1)||5|
|Marine Operations (OFF605_1)||5|
Selected papers on Marine operations. Reference to other textbooks, such as:
S. K. Chakrabarti: "Hydrodynamics of Offshore Structures" Computational Mechanics Publication, 1994 or later edition.
Det Norske Veritas: DNV-RP-H103: "Modelling and Analysis of Marine Operations", April 2009
T. Sarpkaya and M. Isaacson: "Mechanics of Wave Forces on Offshore Structures"; Van Nostrand, 1981 or later edition.
Relevant standards (JSO and Norsok)
The course content will be fully covered through the lectures, obligatory exercises and the laboratory exercises.
Sist oppdatert: 24.08.2019