Linear Algebra (MAT110)
The course gives an introduction to linear equations, matrices, determinants, vector spaces, eigenvalues, diagonalization problem.
Course description for study year 2023-2024. Please note that changes may occur.
Semester tution start
Number of semesters
Language of instruction
The course gives an introduction to linear equations, matrices, determinants, vector spaces, eigenvalues, diagonalization problems, and elementary solution methods through programming.
By the end of this course a successful student should be able to:
- Be familiar with some of the techniques and ideas in linear algebra.
- Be able to deal with systems of linear equations. Understand the connection both between the set of solutions and vector spaces, and between linear systems and linear transformations.
- Understand the use of orthogonality and manage to construct orthogonal basis for certain vector spaces.
- Be able to deal with the diagonalizationproblem.
- Be able to solve elementary linear problems using a programming language such as Python.
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Form of assessment||Weight||Duration||Marks||Aid|
|Written exam||1/1||4 Hours||Letter grades||No printed or written materials are allowed. Approved basic calculator allowed|
Course coordinator:Eirik Eik Svanes
Head of Department:Bjørn Henrik Auestad
Method of work
6 hours lectures and problem solving per week.
|Mathematics 6 - Linear Algebra (ÅMA140_1)||10|
|Mathematical methods 2B (TE0550_1)||5|
|Linear algebra with applications (MPT100_1)||3|
|Mathematical methods 2b (ÅMA270_1)||5|
|Mathematical Methods 2 (ÅMA260_1)||5|
|Mathematical methods 2 (TE0561_A)||5|
|Mathematical methods 2B (TE0550_A)||5|
|Mathematical Methods 2 (MAT200_1)||5|
There must be an early dialogue between the course coordinator, the student representative and the students. The purpose is feedback from the students for changes and adjustments in the course for the current semester.In addition, a digital course evaluation must be carried out at least every three years. Its purpose is to gather the students experiences with the course.