Urban Development Project 7 (BYG620)
Project-based subject in urban development.
Course description for study year 2022-2023. Please note that changes may occur.
Semester tution start
Number of semesters
Language of instruction
The course is project-based and deals with advanced topics within urban development, planning and design and conducting in-depth studies of a relevant topic. During the course, the student goes through extensive work with investigating, analysing and shaping an urban environment on different scales, or investigating a conceptual of theoretical research problem with the help of relevant scientific and planning methods. The course is meant to give the student the opportunity to thoroughly explore a subject regarding building, urban spaces, cities and regions., mobility and energy concepts.
The course can bu used a preparation for the master thesis/project.
The subject and project depend on availability of tutors.
After the course the student should (depending on the subject) have
- Knowledge about scientific analysis and planning methods for the urban environment
- Understanding of and ability to interpret spatial qualities, local culture and identity
- Insight in user needs and social structures
- Understanding of how changes in society lead to changes in building conventions, living environment, transport, energy solutions, greenbelt protection, societal safety, climate, etc.
After the course the student should (depending on the subject) be able to
- Do spatial analyses relevant to the topic
- Develop building and planning programs as basis for a design
- Produce balanced land use and transport plans and evaluate such plans on a strategic level
After the course the student should (depending on the subject) have general knowledge regarding
- Development and implementation of a given project
- In-depth study of a given topic
- Independent execution of theoretical and creative project work
- Presentation of urban projects in a convincing and professional manner through sketches/drawing/illustrations, text, physical/virtual modelling
Required prerequisite knowledge
|Form of assessment||Weight||Duration||Marks||Aid|
|Project assigment and presentation||1/1||Letter grades|
The course is based on project work. The scope of the work will be agreed with the teacher at the start according to the chosen theme. The course will be graded by the subject teacher based on the handed in project work.
Course coordinator:Fabio Alberto Hernandez Palacio
Course teacher:Harald Nils Røstvik
Head of Department:Tore Markeset
Method of work
Independent study and project work (individually or in groups) with tutoring. NB! The availability of tutors needs to be clarified with the responsible teachers before registration!
Students, in agreement with the teacher, have to develop their own work plan at the beginning of the semester. This plan should have several phases, and in each of them, some form of report or progress of the project that allows monitoring progress should be developed. Compliance with this plan by at least 75% will be necessary for the student to submit the final report.