Open for PhD and Post Doctoral fellows at the University.
Career planning and development
One day career develpment worshop for postgraduate and postdoctoral researchers.
Part 1: Knowing yourself, knowing the job market
- Career planning for PhD and postdocs
- The non-academic employment market
- Connecting skills, interests and values with career options
- Job seeking strategies and researching the job market
- Effective self-presentation skills linked to job seeking strategies
Part 2: Effective interview presentation
- Presentation of interview types and purpose
- Reviewing positives and how to overcome negatives at interview
- Interview technique – discussion and practicing types of questions
- Peer practice and feedback
- Other activities in addition to interview
It will be possible to attend either the first part, second part or both parts of the workshop.
About the workshop
Sarah Blackford is a qualified higher education careers adviser (MA, Warwick University) with a background in scientific research and publishing. A Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, Sarah specialises in providing career development education to doctoral students and early career researchers and has been delivering career workshops and one-to-one coaching for over 20 years in research institutions, universities, EU consortia and doctoral training programmes. As a registered career practitioner with the Career Development Institute and the Association for Graduate Careers Services (AGCAS), Sarah adheres to a recognised ethical code of practice.